Quickie 160C Loader - I think I damaged the cylinders.

/ Quickie 160C Loader - I think I damaged the cylinders. #1  

bearthebruce

Gold Member
Tractor
'05 Massey Ferguson 1533; '22 LS MT125
Reference: Quickie 160C on a Massey Ferguson 1535

I think I was a bit too aggressive with the bucket. Dragging the bucket and ratchet rake on a rock pile to free the rocks for removal, I hung on a rock and popped the bucket up. After, the arms would only lift to about half their normal range.

Sound like a bent rod in the cylinder? I'm thinking so.

Any have a reference to where replacement parts can be ordered? I've been searching the web. I guess I will call Quickie if there are no alternatives.

/ Quickie 160C Loader - I think I damaged the cylinders. #2  
In before trying to spend a bunch of money, try disconnecting and reconnecting the quick couplers for the loader. From your description, sounds exactly like one of the quick couplers popped out.

/ Quickie 160C Loader - I think I damaged the cylinders.
I can try that tomorrow. I see no bend. It is as if the lift hits a stop. The pump then whines.. Obviously I do not keep it there. The curl is fine.. so I am assuming you are suggesting to just pop off the lift lines.

@ptsg are you thinking that when I popped over the rock that air was injected into the cylinder? What are you thinking popping the couplers will do?

Forgive the questions... just trying to learn. I have about 400 hours on the tractor with the loader doing lots of work around the property and am by no means a 'spurt on anything!

/ Quickie 160C Loader - I think I damaged the cylinders. #4  
So the loader uses double acting cylinders for both curl and lift, which means there is fluid on both sides of the piston. For the cylinder to extend, fluid needs to be fed through one port of the cylinder and the other port needs to let fluid go back to the tank and vice versa to retract the cylinder. If one of the couplers pop out, there is no way for the fluid go back to the tank, so the cylinder can only move so much.

Also, it's not uncommon for the coupler to pop out and still look connected even though it's not fully seated. That's why I'm suggesting disconnecting all the couplers and reconnect back.

This usually happens a lot when working around brush if the tractor has the loader valve mounted low and under the tractor. Sometimes a stick or something will hit the release collar on the couple just right and pop it out.

Good to know and I will make sure to check. Thank you.

We did look and saw nothing wrong but I did smell a bit of hydraulic fluid.. Oh how I hope it would be that simple!

/ Quickie 160C Loader - I think I damaged the cylinders. #6  
If the loader is in the air you might have to support the weight to reconnect the lines since typically you cannot reconnect them under pressure created by the loader weight.

@ptsg I wanted to close this thread by telling you that you were spot on. One connection had let go. All is back up and running!

@oldnslo thank you for that reminder. The loader was down so no support was necessary. Appreciate the reminder.

/ Quickie 160C Loader - I think I damaged the cylinders. #9  
ptsg to the rescue once again! We’re very lucky to have members so knowledgeable and willing to offer great advice!

Mike

/ Quickie 160C Loader - I think I damaged the cylinders. #10  
@ptsg I wanted to close this thread by telling you that you were spot on. One connection had let go. All is back up and running!

@oldnslo thank you for that reminder. The loader was down so no support was necessary. Appreciate the reminder.
That's great to hear! I'm glad you got it solved and it was an easy fix. Thanks for the update.