Putting parent in an assisted care facility

/ Putting parent in an assisted care facility #41  
   / Putting parent in an assisted care facility
I got mom moved back to our place today to much relief. I met with the assisted living staff yesterday and they handled everything appropriately. It has to be an awfully tough business to run, especially with today's labor/staff issues. They didn't make excuses and understood my concerns. The bottom line is it made us realize that if we had the right staff, the in-home care we were providing was working a whole lot better than we realized. You can't compare individual care to group care, but the hinge pin for either is the quality of the staff.

We've been absolutely blessed with the latest in-home group we have. To supplement our 5 year tenure care-giver, we've been blessed with two sisters that are LVN's who immigrated from Zimbabwe. One of them is college educated and world traveled and an absolute joy to interact with. She's been doing a great job of training us in little tweaks to our routine and environment that's making a world of difference for both us and my mom. I don't know much about her sister as she's only covered one shift before we tried the move of my mom to assisted living, and quickly retreated, but she's also great. They have a third gal that will also cover shifts/days that they assure us we'll equally like.

I feel like a lucky man today. A huge factor is my folks planning for their old age. It's given us the flexibility and means to do what we're doing with in-home care. I pray we can continue what we're doing until the good Lord calls my mother home.

/ Putting parent in an assisted care facility #43  
You will never regret caring for your mother at home if you have that option. Finding the right caregivers is so very important.

/ Putting parent in an assisted care facility #44  
I'm faced with moving my 85YO mother to an assisted care facility. We've avoided it as long as we can, with having a part-time care giver for the past 6 years. It's to the point that she needs full-time, round the clock care for her safety. Trip to the ER this past weekend for a fall and head wound was the last straw.

I'm going to tour a couple of places tomorrow. This is going to be an awful conversation with my mom and one that absolutely crushes her. She's been a fiercely independent woman her entire life and we've enjoyed every minute we've been able to have her in our little in-law apartment since my dad passed in 2013. This is going to be tough on all of us.
Hard times. Moved my mom to an apartment in a place with assisted care if needed on about her 86th or 87th birthday. I remember because it wasn't too much longer that we had a 90th birthday party for her.

After that, things kind of fell apart for her, and we ended up having to move her to another facility. The apartment was fine where she was, but this next facility was not. Finally got her in a nice place in a 3rd move.

She was fine with moving to the apartment, and it was better for her to have others around to talk to. She didn't think she could afford one; that was her main concern. My moneywise wife took care of everything, and there was money left over when she died at 94.

/ Putting parent in an assisted care facility #45  
We're moving my mom back home and increasing the at-home caregiver coverage to be 8am to 9pm. The caregiver will get her in bed each night and the other caregiver will get her up in the morning. I think having two completely independent caregivers will help with the level of care too.

Question for the TBN braintrust:
I currently have a BayAlarm Medical alert system, with a base unit, neck/wrist pendant and (2) wall panic buttons (mounted 12" off the floor in her bathroom and bedroom). I highly recommend it, for anyone in a similar circumstance.

What I'm looking for is maybe something like a baby monitor system and/or an intercom system that we could use at night while she's sleeping, to let us know if she tried to get out of bed, etc. The in-law apartment is a stand-alone building approximately 75' off the back of our house.

Does anyone have any experience with a monitoring system for these purposes?
I am the in home care giver for my wife of 62 years. Hospice provides daily Nurse checks and daily hygiene care. She is on oxygen and totally bed confined.

If your mother has a tendency to get up and wander, these two web pages may be of assistance. Good luck and thank you for taking care care of “Mom”.

/ Putting parent in an assisted care facility
I am the in home care giver for my wife of 62 years. Hospice provides daily Nurse checks and daily hygiene care. She is on oxygen and totally bed confined.

If your mother has a tendency to get up and wander, these two web pages may be of assistance. Good luck and thank you for taking care care of “Mom”.

Thank you Gator! The info you provided is exactly what I needed for that nighttime gap between caregivers.

/ Putting parent in an assisted care facility #47  
That is a difficult process for everyone involved. I hope can your mother can make the best of it and understand it is all about her safety. Best Wishes.