PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554

/ PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554 #1  

xb90

Tractor
n/a
Howdy Gang,

My PTO started acting up a couple of weeks ago where the PTO would randomly not engage. It has become progressively worse and it now does not work at all.

The switch seems to be fine as I have checked voltage on the two-wire terminal the connects to the PTO and I am seeing around 13 volts when the switch is on so I'm thinking the PTO itself has gone bad (but hoping its something else less expensive).

Any ideas for other things to check? If it is the PTO, can it possibly be repaired or will I need to buy a whole new one?

Thanks!

/ PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554
Replaced the PTO clutch and still not working. Looks like my voltage check to the clutch leads was not an adequate test.

Hmmmm.....

/ PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554 #4  
Are you sure that the connector is making good contact?

/ PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554 #5  
Oh crap! You went thru the expense of replacing the clutch and that didn't solve it? Well at least that points to something upstream of the clutch. Like said, the connectors can get cooked. Relays can get weak or burnt, wiring with insulation breaks, etc.. Low voltage will also cause the clutch to disengage or not engage at all.

Joel

Thanks for the responses!

I just rechecked voltage with the engine running.

At the battery, I'm seeing 14.1 volts
At the PTO connection I'm seeing a solid 13.9 volts

I carefully cleaned the contacts leading to the PTO and tried again - still nothing.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Last edited:
The contacts were kind of dirty - I'm going to try cleaning them more thoroughly with solvent and try again.

It seems like this has got to be the problem.

update: I made the contacts nice and shiny clean and even bent them a little bit so they make solid contact when slid into the PTO's connector.

No Change.

13.9 Volts to the PTO ought to do it right?

Also, the battery is fairly new - about 6 months old

Correction, the battery is a little over a year old - purchased in 07/09
I just pulled the battery and cleaned up the terminals (there was some very minor corrosion) - it's all clean now and put back together.

No Change.

Is there anything else I can check?
Could it be that my brand new PTO Clutch is bad?

I've been out of service now for a couple of weeks and the grass is getting taller - it grows fast out here in Hawaii (and all year round).

Last edited:
   / PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554 #8  
Sorry to jump on your thread.... but my PTO builds speed slowly, and once all is hot ...like 5 minutes or less.... the PTO is strong and solid for duration of
mowing for the day. At first thought it was belts and replaced belts with new...
but still, blades move slowly till all is hot.
Pete
2003 3000 series Cub Cadet 20hp V Kohler

/ PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554 #9  
Sorry to jump on your thread.... but my PTO builds speed slowly

The 3000 series has a vacuum activated PTO - the rest of the lineup has a electro-magnetic clutch arrangement, it's either engaged or it's not, there's no half-way point like you have with the vacuum PTO.

/ PTO problems on Cub Cadet GT1554 #10  
Use an ohmmeter on the clutch coil to ensure that it is not open.