PTO a '70 international 444

/ PTO a '70 international 444 #1  

joe tx

Tractor
case
Have an old '70 IH 444 that I picked up cheap a while back. Got it running, but hadn't tried to use the PTO with the mower until this weekend. I had put the PTO in gear and it appeared to work without the mower. Tried to use the mower this weekend and the PTO didn't engage. Messed with the gears and low/hi case and it suddenly worked when I popped it into Low. Thought I was good to go, but when I got to where I was going to mow, once more the PTO wouldn't engage. What do you think? How can I check to see if the PTO clutch needs replacing? Thanks. Joe.

/ PTO a '70 international 444 #2  
I think it poppes out of gear ? See if the lever can move a bit more ? If so ....heat up the lever and bend it so that the gear/coupler can move a bit more to make more of a n overlap !

/ PTO a '70 international 444
I think it poppes out of gear ? See if the lever can move a bit more ? If so ....heat up the lever and bend it so that the gear/coupler can move a bit more to make more of a n overlap !
The PTO lever has a pin that's spring loaded and holds in a hole when it's off. To engage you overcome the spring, move it about 2 inches and it drops into another hole where it should be engaged. The lever is easy to operate and has full travel, but PTO is not engaged. Thanks, Joe.