PT425 PTO Switch Replacement - How to wire up replacement switch of different brand?

/ PT425 PTO Switch Replacement - How to wire up replacement switch of different brand? #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
Hi TBN friends!

My PTO Switch failed and I am in the middle of replacing it. (Ordered and received replacement from Power-Trac)
The problem is that I can't tell how I am supposed to wire up the replacement. Here's why:
  1. Both old and new switches have 6 connections.
  2. Old switch and new switch are two different brands, and the labeling on the switch connections (i.e., labels for 1, 2, etc. are completely different between the two switches)
  3. Therefore, I don't know how to wire the switches. Normally, I would ohm out the old switch, but the old one is dead and I can't check it.
  4. How can I proceed with the replacement?

Thanks so much!

-Rob :)

/ PT425 PTO Switch Replacement - How to wire up replacement switch of different brand? #2  
Photos might help...

In general, DPDT switches (six terminals, effectively a "left" switch, and a right switch") switch the middle between the two ends.

All the best, Peter

/ PT425 PTO Switch Replacement - How to wire up replacement switch of different brand? #3  
How many wires were connected to the original switch?

/ PT425 PTO Switch Replacement - How to wire up replacement switch of different brand? #4  
Photos might help...

In general, DPDT switches (six terminals, effectively a "left" switch, and a right switch") switch the middle between the two ends.

All the best, Peter
Yep. I'm wondering if it has wires that prevent it from starting the engine if engaged?

By flipping it, you'd think it's just an on/off switch, but with 6 poles but no middle click, is it a DPDT, or is it an X?

/ PT425 PTO Switch Replacement - How to wire up replacement switch of different brand? #5  
But like you said, it should be:

242762B3-F52D-4BDA-BB57-E803C432C2B1.jpeg

/ PT425 PTO Switch Replacement - How to wire up replacement switch of different brand? #6  
Yep. I'm wondering if it has wires that prevent it from starting the engine if engaged?

By flipping it, you'd think it's just an on/off switch, but with 6 poles but no middle click, is it a DPDT, or is it an X?
I don't know an "X", but DPDT switches come in two flavors; one has a stop in the middle (ON-OFF-ON), but I think that the PTO switch has no stop in the middle (ON-ON DPDT), or at least mine does.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT425 PTO Switch Replacement - How to wire up replacement switch of different brand? #7  
I don't know an "X", but DPDT switches come in two flavors; one has a stop in the middle (ON-OFF-ON), but I think that the PTO switch has no stop in the middle (ON-ON DPDT), or at least mine does.

All the best,

Peter
Yep, I believe you are correct. What I was getting at with the X comment was a wiring scenario, not the construction of the switch.

/ PT425 PTO Switch Replacement - How to wire up replacement switch of different brand? #8  
Rob, do you have an OHM meter?

/ PT425 PTO Switch Replacement - How to wire up replacement switch of different brand? #9  
Since they changed the manufacturer, why not just ask Terry for a wiring dia?

/ PT425 PTO Switch Replacement - How to wire up replacement switch of different brand?
You guys are the best, thank you for the thoughtful and quick responses!

My problem has been solved: I managed to get in touch with Terry today (right before he left for vacation) and he said "All you need to know is that there is a groove on the 'bottom' of the switch as it sits in the dash. That indicates the 'off' position of the switch, when the handle of the switch points towards that groove, it means the switch is in the OFF position. Just make sure the groove is positioned on the bottom side of the dash and connect all the wires exactly the same as they are on the original". The 'groove' or 'slot' is on the threaded portion of the switch (The part that holds the switch to the dash.)

I followed his advice and everything is running properly again.

I do NOT know the purpose of the various wires (which as an engineer bothers me a bit), but I am happy to have my faithful PT back in business.

Thanks again Team PT.

-Rob :)