PT Pucker and Moss Road

/ PT Pucker and Moss Road #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So, I am nearing closing a deal on a 1445 (used). I saw the pictures on the web of Moss Road doing the pucker and I had a few questions.

Doesn't this put a HUGE strain on the hydraulic steering mechanism, as well as the pin between the front and back?

Has anyone put there PT over on its side? I look at this and wonder if it possible.

Thanks guys

Carl

/ PT Pucker and Moss Road #2  
I put one on its side when I ran a wheel off the end of the culvert with a drop of two feet or so. Actually it landed at about a 30 degree angle against a hill. A neighbor who was driving by, stopped and helped me put it back up right. I then drove off.

/ PT Pucker and Moss Road #3  
First off, that is not me. The first one is Hans, the official PT test pilot. The second unit with the white trim is Fourteen. He was gracious enough to get off the unit, take some photos, and pass them on to us.

THIS is a video of me and my version of the PT Pucker! :) This huge log is 27" in diameter at the narrow end, 37" in diameter at the wide end and 53" long. It was sitting in my back yard for a few years. I can't estimate the weight, but I can only budge one end a couple of inches with my 200+ pounds on the end of a 5 foot pry bar. I used the pallet forks, lifted it about 6 inches and backed up, which caused the right rear tire to come off the ground a few inches. I lowered it down to 1 inch off the ground and the tractor came back down. Took it away like this.

To answer your question about the stresses that it puts on the steering rams and the center pivot point... I just don't know, to be honest. If you think about it, the PT425 can lift 800 pounds (we think) close to the quick attach point, much less as you go out further from that point. Once you get tippy you have all the weight of the rear section on that pivot point. It really doesn't matter if the unit is really close to tipping or already tipping, there isn't going to be any more weight put onto the joint. So, if it is engineered to hold that amount of weight, it should hold it.

I do recall a few years ago someone had one of the parts of the center pivot break off. I believe they got a new joint from PT and welded it on. That is the only incidence of joint failure that I know of.

/ PT Pucker and Moss Road #4  
I'm still a pucker virgin but I have come close to putting it over on it's side a few times. I have one of the "tall boys" where the center of gravity is a little higher up. Once I got to close to a snow covered culvert and slid in sideways. Just the other day I was trying to break down a snow berm to widen the drive when the top gave a little easier than I expected and I went flying up and along the berm. Both times I was hanging on for dear life but the machine never showed signs of tipping. The're more stable than they appear.

Oh, did I mention I wear my seatbelt at all times? :eek:

Jack

/ PT Pucker and Moss Road #5  
jfh28 said:
Oh, did I mention I wear my seatbelt at all times? :eek:

Jack

And if it starts over, resist the impulse to stick a foot out to catch it. :rolleyes:

/ PT Pucker and Moss Road #6  
Yep. Just plant your feet on the floor and hold the wheel with both hands. As they say at the county fair....

Do not undo your seatbelt until the ride has come to a complete stop. :D

/ PT Pucker and Moss Road #7  
""Doesn't this put a HUGE strain on the hydraulic steering mechanism""

No! When in pucker, there is no stress on the steering at all! The rear wheels are off the ground! Turning the steering wheel is nearly effortless.

""as well as the pin between the front and back?""

Same as above, but avoid dropping the PT by using the 'float' position! Lower the rear by gently lowering the bucket. Avoid holding the full pucker position with the engine running due to possible engine oil starvation.

""Has anyone put there PT over on its side? I look at this and wonder if it possible.""

No, not in most situations. With the 800# bucket and the front section of the PTat ground level and spreading their weight across the full width of the tractor, the PT is actually very stable in pucker position. With my PT-425 in full pucker, as shown, even on that slope, I couldn't get it to even rock by pushing on the ROPS!!
If traveling fast, turning, or crossing a slope, there may be a higher risk, but that is true when puckering or not!

PS: Reversed Wheels will increase stability and safety under all conditions!

PPS: Remember that the PT seat is hinged at the front, and you can be pitched forward even with the seatbelt on snugly!!
I have considered locking the seat in place but haven't done so yet!!

Attachments

• Roller TBN d .JPG
    Roller TBN d .JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 525
   / PT Pucker and Moss Road #8  
PT Pucker update:

B74D46D6-5014-46DD-BB7D-944CBEF11BA5.jpg

(Do I win the zombie thread update at 12 years?)

/ PT Pucker and Moss Road #10  
I don't know. He was a young guy when he bought it. :laughing: