Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property?

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
My brother was approached this week about placing a cell tower at the farm.

They did a site walk and it looks promising.

Another farm has a better location but absolutely refuses to allow a tower so the provider is scouting alternate locations.

Anything to watch out for?

Any questions we should be asking?

The proposed tower would be at the highest elevation at the property and visible but not necessarily a deal breaker.

Of course the county may nix the idea as it requires approval.

The standard fee is $2500 a month for 25 years... nothing said about free farm access or cell phones.

So far only a 3 hour site walk taking some measurements...

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #2  
Not sure on cell towers but in this area windmills have a lot of regulations on where the property owner can drive or how close you can get to buildings, access road, etc. pretty large easement for each mill and they may or maynot pay crop damage if they drive on your crops.

My advice do a lot of research and carefully read the fine print. County was helpful in providing their requirements for mill sites.

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #3  
My brother was approached this week about placing a cell tower at the farm.

They did a site walk and it looks promising.

Another farm has a better location but absolutely refuses to allow a tower so the provider is scouting alternate locations.

The proposed tower would be at the highest elevation at the property and visible but not necessarily a deal breaker.

Of course the county may nix the idea as it requires approval.

The standard fee is $2500 a month for 25 years... nothing said about free farm access or cell phones.

So far only a 3 hour site walk taking some measurements...

ROW and Easement sizes and use.

Towers are not just cellular anymore, microwaves, fiber, various antennas, power (may include heat/ac), etc. etc...

Think tower plus supporting infrastructure.

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #4  

He should get a lawyer. The lawyer will be better able to investigate the company and its history with right-of-way arrangements. The lawyer will be more able to negotiate a better agreement with terms of contract more favorable to your brother.
Going alone into such a deal with a high-powered company that has squads of lawyers is a very dangerous proposition

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #5  
Oof, I wouldn't do it. The income might sound nice, but unless you lawyer up first, it might end up a free pass for them to build a wide road to the large tower site and utilities going in any direction they want.

Unless you're talking about 250+ acres and it can be close to a mile from your relative's house. The increased radiation is likely measureable.

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #6  
The tower site is one thing, the access is another.
If your area is subject to power outages it will likely have a generator and require access at the times of worst weather.
As has been mentioned once the first service is located, others will come out of the wood work like termites wanting to
be on the tower so you can end up with many users all with different schedules for servicing there equipment.

Edited to add this;
I live within easily visible distance to 5 towers, as the crow flys not much more then a quarter of a mile.
Increased radiation has been a consideration but not a concern to me. As far as seeing them and them being an eye sore,
not happening I usually don't even notice them.
And I love it when a company says there standard fee is so much, in my mind there is no such thing as a standard fee.
Get all you can going up from what they wish to call a standard fee.

Last edited:
   / Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #7  
I'd be curious to know distance from homes or outbuildings, access rights for crews, if there is a way for them to get in from a public road that doesn't mean them driving by a home, etc.

I've also seen some issues with de-commissioning some years in the future where they take the electronics away, but leave the tower structure.

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #8  
Do they have a choice ?

I wouldn't do that. Give a little now, it will be an acre later (so to speak), not to mention the Health Hazards / Implications of having all that "energy" near you. Associated Migraines etc would make it impossible for my wife.

oh, and they would need general, regular access to the property (trucks, equipment, maintenance), so that compromises the pwners useage of the property ... gates required in fencelines, no permanent building sites etc.

not worth it to me ... imagine the 20 year impact, expansion etc

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #9  
Towers are not just cellular anymore, microwaves, fiber, various antennas, power (may include heat/ac), etc. etc...

EXACTLY

/ Pros and Cons of allowing Cell Tower on Property? #10  
Years ago, my parents were hounded by zinc exploration companies to sign an underground mineral lease prepared by the zinc co. My parents wouldn't do it. Today, the payments under those leases look woefully underpriced, there was no price escalation clause, and no way for the landowner to terminate the lease after signing.

If interested in leasing, I'd want a first class real estate lawyer to prepare a lease that's favorable to the landowner. Would not sign lease prepared by lessee and would not rely on a lawyer who isn't an expert in real estate leasing.