pr/str noise: your take?

/ pr/str noise: your take? #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
M8540. 450 hrs, hyd oil/filter changed 2nd time @400hrs since new. over the past 10 hrs a squeaking noise has developed as i turn the wheels back & forth. stationery & motion. from ft. end. all ft end fittings greased regularly. udt & Kobota hyd filters installed. fluid level good, used extensively since fluid change, no issues.... kinda like metal on metal sound? or rubber?, but functions fine. could it be a pump issue? fel & 3pt function fine. troubling noise though! thanks in advance

/ pr/str noise: your take? #2  
I had a noise like that on a L4330. Turned out to be the rubber tie rod boots rubbing on the mangled "brush guards".

- Jay

/ pr/str noise: your take?
I had a noise like that on a L4330. Turned out to be the rubber tie rod boots rubbing on the mangled "brush guards".

- Jay

thanks jay, going to check that one. also, i finally went & talked to my favorite mechanic (not the service rep!) @ my dealer. he mentioned that probably the noise is coming from a rubber grommet within the steering column that sometime due to weather extremes, "binds" on the movement of the column thus the noise. relieved not internal! one has to remove the steering wheel using a special plate when pulling to protect the plastic wheel from the puller jaws. once removed, pull up the rubber & lube. thought this would be of interest to members as it's common according to him....sometimes info is the most important service component, the reason i keep coming back here, thx again