Poulan 5020 issue

/ Poulan 5020 issue #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I have the above POS and it worked well for a couple of years. Always used can fuel, no ethanol. I live in the desert, so very few trees around here, but every once in a while. After it quit, I bought a Zama carb and it worked for a while again.
I gave up last year and bought a Makita electric as it does what I need once or twice a year on my 26 acres (NO trees :rolleyes: other than Joshua Trees, and they are protected and won’t burn anyway).

I decided to get it running and sell it to the next sucker. I overnight soaked both carbs in a gallon of carb cleaner. Probed everything visible with a welding tip cleaner and reassembled. Got the factory “plumbing” diagram for the fuel lines and exploded views of the carbs to make sure flappers and gaskets were in the right place. Checked the float level to .012 below deck per factory.
By the way, I was a co-owner of a Kawasaki dealership, the 6th in the country (1965). I was the wrench so I’m reasonably qualified.

Here’s the deal. A couple of pulls and it starts right up…. And runs for 2 seconds. Choke off and one pull and it starts again for 2 seconds. Repeat about 5 time while trying different needle settings and same result. Then nothing. If I pull the plug, it is soaked.

I don’t understand this one.

/ Poulan 5020 issue
Guess I stumped the stars on this one ;)

/ Poulan 5020 issue #3  
I would replace the carb as a starting point.
Less than $30 gets you kit with new carb, gaskets, lines, fuel filter, air filter and spark plug. Yes they are chinese knock-offs but since you want to sell anyways its cheap and easy. And the carb comes set often at least close enough to run.

/ Poulan 5020 issue #4  
A faulty primer bulb will allow backflow into the carb causing flooding. Also reversing the lines on the carb will cause the same thing. And if you probed the wrong holes with the welding tip cleaner you destroyed the internal check valves and the carb is now junk. Also exposing the carbs to carb cleaner will also swell the check valves either causing them to plug shut or stick open. Either way the carbs are not repairable.

/ Poulan 5020 issue #5  
I have seen this same thing happen when the exhaust port would be stopped up nearly all the way…try pulling the muffler and check.

/ Poulan 5020 issue #6  
No I seen it after you posted here. But I already replied with my thoughts in other thread. So didnt see a need to repeat. GL

p502016x.jpg
p5020r.jpg

/ Poulan 5020 issue #7  
I went through this same issue with the SIL's last summer. Turns out it had low compression, scuffed piston - due to wrong/no oil (?) These are 40:1 saws. Bought a cylinder kit and it ran fine. Now in winter, won't start again. POS. Not worth fixing again.