Pot metal repair

/ Pot metal repair #1  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
This hinge is from the folding rear seat of my golf cart. Thought it was steel and I would weld it, but once I took it off, realized it's some sort of pot metal, probably zinc.

As a hinge, it does have to handle a bit of stress. Not huge, but enough that I want to figure out a repair that will hold up. Thickness is about 1/4".

Suggestions?

IMG_20220806_122935710.png

/ Pot metal repair #3  
I'm with metalbender; depending on what tools you have available, I would take a piece of fairly heavy wall steel angle and "cut away anything that doesn't look like your original" - (using your broken one as a template)

A mill and a plasma cutter would make it pretty easy, but not the ONLY way to skin that cat... Steve

/ Pot metal repair #4  
This would be a very easy piece to make up from steel any small fab shop or buddy with welder should be able to make this up in 20 minutes.

Danno

/ Pot metal repair #6  
I've got some rod in the shop called Aladdin, it's for gas welding that kind of stuff (tig would probably work even better).
Best, of course, is fabbing up steel replacements, as the other side should be swapped out as well.
20220806_104924~2.jpg

/ Pot metal repair #7  
I'd see if it would take bronze braze. I've been surprised at how strong some brazed repairs I've made are.

/ Pot metal repair #8  
“Pot” metal term comes from the fact that way back it was started by mixing a bunch of metals in a fire pot and cast. Thus, it is not a single thing like zinc. Likely has zinc, aluminum, lead and other things in it. Very hard to fix. make new.

/ Pot metal repair #9  
I'm with metalbender; depending on what tools you have available, I would take a piece of fairly heavy wall steel angle and "cut away anything that doesn't look like your original" - (using your broken one as a template)

A mill and a plasma cutter would make it pretty easy, but not the ONLY way to skin that cat... Steve
Yep. Very easy as long as you have at least a drill press for the holes. Angle grinder with cutoff wheels to shape it and grind smooth. For a one-off part like this, you don't need a mill or plasma or anything fancy to get it done. Plus - No welding needed if you do it this way.

/ Pot metal repair #10  
might take more than 20 minutes…..
You are right! The piece I would use is at the bottom of the scrap bin and it would take me an hour to get to it and then 20 minutes to make it. If the pot metal survived this long then a piece of steel plate with an ear welded on it will last forever.

Danno