porosity - welding mild steel, 7018 rod

/ porosity - welding mild steel, 7018 rod #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
What causes this porosity? Other end of the tubing was open to the air (not capped). Notice I didn't have a problem with the other weld, same welder/or same settings same time, etc.

420697d1428877147-porosity-welding-miled-steel-7018-a-porosity-jpg

Attachments

• porosity.jpg
    porosity.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 17,209
   / porosity - welding mild steel, 7018 rod #2  
Could be several things. Do you store your 7018 in an oven? To long of arc length.

/ porosity - welding mild steel, 7018 rod #3  
I yield to SA for his expertise however both pictures show the same problem in the weld to my viewing.
It almost looks like the same weld, just picture taken from the other side of travel direction.

Maybe the "good" weld that you are referring to is the one that is orthogonal to the porosity weld and you have two bad welds?

How old is the 7018? Where was it stored? How long since the can was opened? I real long arc can do it and you did have a bit a splatter that 7018 does not normally have. Again bad flux coating from moisture contamination can do all of those things. If the orthogonal weld is the "good" one; was it done before or after and was it the same rod or a new rod?

/ porosity - welding mild steel, 7018 rod
Strange how consistent they are but they are certainly two different welds. But its the same rod as the weld below. Not same type or box etc,,,,,the same actual rod. Pretty sure the rod was very short at those welds. Is that what I'd get traveling too fast? (ended up with a stub an inch long :D).

I'm off-grid, using a generator, no oven!

/ porosity - welding mild steel, 7018 rod #6  
But its the same rod as the weld below. Not same type or box etc,,,,,the same actual rod. Pretty sure the rod was very short at those welds.
With the rod already hot, from being used. And with all the bee-bees laying around the weld, I'd say you had too much of an arc length.

/ porosity - welding mild steel, 7018 rod #7  
You know another thought, your 7018 could have picked up some moisture. I did some playing around with wet 7018. Most of the time on the job site building false work, we never got an oven for the 7018. Never failed someone would leave the lid to the gang box open, and the rain would fill the can of 7018 with water.:mad:

Notice how well the first part of the weld ran fine, then at the end the weld went to chit?

Attachments

• 7018 water.JPG
    7018 water.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 673
  • 7018 dry 1.JPG
    7018 dry 1.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 454
  • 7018 dry 2.JPG
    7018 dry 2.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 293
  • Root.JPG
    Root.JPG
    233.6 KB · Views: 1,585
   / porosity - welding mild steel, 7018 rod #8  
I made a weld a while back on alloy steel with 7018 that had been stored in my garage in the open for years. The weld looked like foam. 7014 welded it fine. So did 308L stainless. The only way I'll use 7018 again is with brand new rods.

/ porosity - welding mild steel, 7018 rod
I'm puzzled about the problem storing rods stored in the open They're wide open in the bin at the store.
I don't think that was the problem because the rod welded beautifully a few minutes prior.

Also these welds below were made with 7018 stored in a paper bag on the shelf for about a year (along with some other stuff stored for 36 years that doesn't work nearly as well :shocked:).

Attachments

• IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 2,125
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 679
   / porosity - welding mild steel, 7018 rod #10  
How about heating them on the wood stove and then using them while still hot?. Your method would be better than nothing however. Look on CL you can find a portable oven and run it off your generators.