PICS OF BARNS; Any barns; All barns; My barn; Your barn; Not your barn

/ PICS OF BARNS; Any barns; All barns; My barn; Your barn; Not your barn #881  
I hope those floor heat pipes were labeled. :ROFLMAO:

/ PICS OF BARNS; Any barns; All barns; My barn; Your barn; Not your barn #882  
1702743747743.jpeg

/ PICS OF BARNS; Any barns; All barns; My barn; Your barn; Not your barn #883  
Just up the road from my house. An old friend that knew a previous owner said it was used for an unusual purpose that I will have to research to see if it's true.

Edit: After some research and some info from a local farmer, the barn was used to house pregnant mares, who were fitted with bags to collect their urine. The urine was used to make hormone replacement therapy drugs, like Premarin® and PremPro®. The mares were kept pregnant constantly and kept in small stalls. The practice has largely been discontinued due to efforts by animal rights organizations and the availability of synthetic hormones.

Pregnant Mare Urine (PMU) Drugs - National Humane Education Society

IMG_20231225_115238542.jpg

Last edited:
   / PICS OF BARNS; Any barns; All barns; My barn; Your barn; Not your barn #884  
IMG_4277.png
IMG_4276.png
Two photos I recently unearthed from family papers, actually a pile of negatives, that show four barns around 1930 that stood on our NY property. our research shows the house was built by 1855, so the barns were likely 75 years old when the photos were taken.

This solves a mystery of a large, heavy white stone back there that must of been part of a stone pier holding up the back corner of the barn to the right that was torn down before I was born and that I didn’t know existed before now (There are zero stones on our place unless they were placed there). The only barn still standing is the smallest in the foreground. Behind it is a three bay English barn that we took down after an old maple that fell on it in the 90’s. To its right (left behind the small barn in front) was a run-in and tack room that my mom gave to a neighbor to take down.

/ PICS OF BARNS; Any barns; All barns; My barn; Your barn; Not your barn #885  
Very cool to have those old pictures of your farm. Did your family buy the land in 1855, or is that just when the house was built and it's been in your family even longer then that?

/ PICS OF BARNS; Any barns; All barns; My barn; Your barn; Not your barn #886  
It was purchased by my great uncle in 1922 (a lawyer in Manhattan who lived in Westchester Co. who purchased the farm summer retreat). My research shows we were the third owners and the family they purchased it from were elderly (two sisters and a brother w/ no kids) who had aged out of farming. The town has the date built as 1870, but I found it on the 1855 census.

The larger barn that got destroyed by the maple was in the process of being saved. We had repaired the corrugated steel roof and we were getting ready to cable it when the old tree let go.

/ PICS OF BARNS; Any barns; All barns; My barn; Your barn; Not your barn #887  
That's some great history. Too bad about the tree, they seem to hate houses and fences!!!!

/ PICS OF BARNS; Any barns; All barns; My barn; Your barn; Not your barn #888  
One from my bicycle ride today, which I may have posted before but this is a different angle if I did. This one is kept in great shape and has a restored windmill near it. It’s probably an old farm with a newer house out front now. The second picture is a one room school house stuffed full of old farm junk.
IMG_2775.jpeg
IMG_2774.jpeg