Parker UHT chattering. $$$$ or try to machine parts?

/ Parker UHT chattering. $$$$ or try to machine parts? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Got a Parker UHT on a mower they chatters pretty violently when under load and warm. Tore it apart and it appears the parts that are toast are not serviceable.

New pump/motor combo is $2200 from Toro.
I have 3 options as I see it.

1. Free. I have a mill and lathe. I can dress these parts up, but worry with mill/lathe tooling the finish won't be good enough.

2. Few hundred bucks maybe and take to a machine shop with a surface grinder. I'm 99% sure this would suffice, but hard to justify throwing away $200 if it don't. And this doesn't address any issues that may have occurs in the wheel motor.

3. But the $2200 and that replaces the whole pp/motor combo.

Looking for feedback because all I have ever dealt with before is separate pumps and motors, and having replaceable wear parts.

Apparently letting the "rotating group" as Parker calls it ride/seal right on the cast iron housing was a good idea instead of a replaceable brass ring.

None of these parts can be purchased separately.

Pictures are hard to convey damage in 2d form, but here they are

IMG_20200805_114340627.jpg
IMG_20200805_114349644.jpg

/ Parker UHT chattering. $$$$ or try to machine parts? #2  
I doubt you can get away with it on the lathe/mill. Those parts tend to be extremely hard, specially the hub.

A surface grinder would do the job but you need to take into account all the tolerances.

Parker may or may not provide those tolerances.

It doesn't look that would take much material removal to clean up both surfaces.

/ Parker UHT chattering. $$$$ or try to machine parts? #3  
Could you just lap them on a diamond stone to polish and flatten them?

/ Parker UHT chattering. $$$$ or try to machine parts?
Could you just lap them on a diamond stone to polish and flatten them?

Possibly on the hub, because its a small part and not as wore as the cast iron bottom housing. Dont think I would want to try hand-stoning that

/ Parker UHT chattering. $$$$ or try to machine parts? #5  
It doesn’t look that bad. I think with either a diamond stone or sandpaper on a piece of glass you could clean it up pretty quick.

/ Parker UHT chattering. $$$$ or try to machine parts? #6  
My concern would be the damage the missing metal has done while floating around the system. The pistons & bores in both rotating groups probably have wear. But I would probably gamble the $200.
Any chance you can price the unit through a Parker dealer? Will not be cheap but it might be better pricing than through Toro.

The finish on those parts must be flat and flawless. Many units have a replaceable bronze valve plate. Too bad this one does not.

/ Parker UHT chattering. $$$$ or try to machine parts? #8  
It doesn’t look that bad. I think with either a diamond stone or sandpaper on a piece of glass you could clean it up pretty quick.
Wetpaper on a piece of glass starting coarse and working up to a nice 800-100 grit would be my choice.

My concern would be the damage the missing metal has done while floating around the system.
Probably considerable damage done, but if all it's costing is a bit of time and some paper, give it a go...............Mike

/ Parker UHT chattering. $$$$ or try to machine parts?
Not much other damage that I see anywhere in the unit.

Wheel motor looks good, as does the rest of the pumps rotating group. Pistons are tight in the bores, no scoring, swash block looks good, etc etc.

Odd that the failure is where it is too, because that is the LOWEST point of the whole hydro. SO even if in the past it ran low on oil, this would be the LAST to starve.

Only has 1200 or so hours on the mower. 72" toro 6000' series commercial mower.

I do not like the fact that it doesnt have a replaceable brass ring like many other pumps. Guess they want you to pony up the $2k rather than repair yourself?

/ Parker UHT chattering. $$$$ or try to machine parts? #10  
Not much other damage that I see anywhere in the unit.

Wheel motor looks good, as does the rest of the pumps rotating group. Pistons are tight in the bores, no scoring, swash block looks good, etc etc.

Odd that the failure is where it is too, because that is the LOWEST point of the whole hydro. SO even if in the past it ran low on oil, this would be the LAST to starve.

Only has 1200 or so hours on the mower. 72" toro 6000' series commercial mower.

I do not like the fact that it doesnt have a replaceable brass ring like many other pumps. Guess they want you to pony up the $2k rather than repair yourself?

Is there a different manufacturer that makes a comparable unit that could take the place of this one? Something rebuildable.