Pancreatic Cancer

/ Pancreatic Cancer #11  
I think at this point dealing with the immediate problem of her nausea from the chemo will be a challenge.
Keeping weight on during chemo will be a challenge. The nausea depresses the appetite, and when you have dramatic weight loss quickly it causes other problems. I agree you should focus on how best to deal with the nausea-- the docs can worry about the bigger issues of course. You might ask about a anti-nausea Rx.

Even the smell of food preparation can become objectionable. Before I was on chemo, I had almost no sense of smell. But once chemo started, I could smell my wife cooking dinner even though I was a long ways down the hall in the master bedroom. It was sickening. I put towels under the door to keep the smell out. Then tried to eat quickly once the food arrived. Chemo is a rough road for many. I will keep you and her in my prayers.

/ Pancreatic Cancer #12  
Keeping weight on during chemo will be a challenge. The nausea depresses the appetite, and when you have dramatic weight loss quickly it causes other problems. I agree you should focus on how best to deal with the nausea-- the docs can worry about the bigger issues of course. You might ask about a anti-nausea Rx.

Even the smell of food preparation can become objectionable. Before I was on chemo, I had almost no sense of smell. But once chemo started, I could smell my wife cooking dinner even though I was a long ways down the hall in the master bedroom. It was sickening. I put towels under the door to keep the smell out. Then tried to eat quickly once the food arrived. Chemo is a rough road for many. I will keep you and her in my prayers.
Good friend of mine went thru similar problems. He couldn't stand the taste of silverware in his mouth. Had to use plastic.

/ Pancreatic Cancer #13  
This is a tough situation. I've lost several friends and family members to pancreatic cancer and it was very difficult. However, there is reason for hope. Several other friends are recent survivors. The new therapies seem to have much better results. I know a researcher in this area. By doing chemo to reduce the tumor and then surgery, they are seeing better outcomes. The chemo is difficult, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

/ Pancreatic Cancer #16  
Thanks everyone, for you kind and encouraging words.

I think at this point dealing with the immediate problem of her nausea from the chemo will be a challenge.
As you probably learned by now is that they adjusted the chemo cocktail based on tolerance so the side effects become lessened.
Glad to hear she is doing better.

/ Pancreatic Cancer #17  
Anyone dealt with it?

My sister just diagnosed with it. They've done additional scans and don't see cancer anywhere else. Treatment plan is 3 months chemo, Whipple procedure, then possible 3 more months of chemo.

Not going to lie, i'm very worried about her.

First chemo treatment started last Friday 4/2, she became very nauseated, couldn't keep food or liquids down. They took the chemo pack off a few days ago, and she is just starting to have reduced nausea, unfortunately, any thing she tried to eat earlier, just makes her gag now, though she is starting to eat other things, thank goodness. I suspect, her 3 months of treatment are going to be a repeat of her first week.
Keep the faith ! & Praying , I had pancreatic cancer 4 years ago ! & it was the rarest form known as ampulary which is in the lower duct of the pancreas 6 months of chemo infusions , & oral pills (vile)! & the Whipple procedure came 1st , Which is the most complicated surgery known to man I lost my Gall bladder in the process ! My surgery took 8 hours , surviving the surgery alone is great news ! & going thru chemo was the hardest part seeing your fellow man give up & quit ! & those who are fighting like hell to live not survive it's a very tough battle. & my oncologist only gave me 50% chance of surviving ! All cancers must be in remission for 5 years to be considered a survivor ! I was blessed to have a great surgeon , & I have 13 months to go to say I'm cancer free! Just remember it is not a death sentence if caught early enough, Just remember keep the faith & keep believing, It is a tough road & lonely unless you know someone who has been thru it with no maps other than a belief in your self & your God.I pray for your sister,& her journey.

/ Pancreatic Cancer #20  
This is such a heart-breaking news. Hoping for a speedy recovery.