Pallets in fields

/ Pallets in fields #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
Don't know if this is the best place to ask this, but couldn't find a better place.

I have noticed over the past few years that the local farm fields get populated with a pair of pallets leaned up against each other to form a inverted V shape. they are always out near the middle of the field, in a line, and about 500 to 700 feet apart.

Now during the Spring and Summer they are nowhere to be seen, and in late Fall they are out there again. As far as I know (not having been out in the middle of these fields) from driving by every day there is nothing out there that needs protection such as a irrigation pipe, so I can not figure out what purpose they serve. No one is out in those fields over the winter to do damage to anything except maybe some one riding their snowmobile if we get measurable snow which is not too common here.

Could someone explain the reason for these? I see them on more than one farm throughout our county.

/ Pallets in fields #2  
Snow fences??

/ Pallets in fields #4  
I don't know .. Heck I was just throwing out my best guess for the pallets!

/ Pallets in fields #5  
Some folks do that to protect young trees mostly from deer snow loads.

/ Pallets in fields #6  
Perhaps the farmer uses the pallets to mark which fields get lime applied by the local supplier. He might not lime every field every year - the pallets would make an easy visual to locate which fields are on the lime schedule.

/ Pallets in fields #7  
Maybe to keep most of the pallet off the ground so it doesn't rot so fast?
Maybe to provide a range mark on an otherwise featureless field of fire?
Anyone still use iron sights?

/ Pallets in fields #8  
what crop is grown in the field?

/ Pallets in fields #9  
As far as I know (not having been out in the middle of these fields) from driving by every day there is nothing out there that needs protection such as a irrigation pipe, so I can not figure out what purpose they serve.

Are the fields irrigated in the summer time?

Steve