/ Owning HP wakeup call #41  
2017 Mustang 5.0 GT making 450 horsepower to weight ratio 0.1286
2011 Porsche 3.4 making 349 hp to weight ratio 0.1396
1965 Cobra replica 5.0 making 320 hp to weight ratio 0.1600
Ford diesel 3.2 making 197 hp to weight ratio 0.0563
MX5200 Kubota making 52 hp to weight ratio 0.01156
Insert wolf whistle here!

/ Owning HP wakeup call #42  
It's been fun collecting these (y) Each one of the 3 hot cars will get your blood pumping. If you gotta work you may as well buy toys. lol

/ Owning HP wakeup call #43  
Meh... 1000 hp isn't much, these days. Some have that in a single car, if you own anything badged Hennesy or Calloway.

Presently:

485 hp SRT Charger
395 hp R/T Durango
395 hp Ram 5.7 Hemi
33 hp Deere 3033R
25 hp Deere 757 ZTrak
11 hp Intek log splitter
25 hp in other assorted walk-behinds
======
1369 hp overland, before we start counting 2-strokes or boats

Highest HP single vehicle I ever owned was a 429 cid Mustang that dyno'd 540 hp, before I added 120 hp NOS boost, so... 660 hp? Just about needed a passenger to spot me for making right turns, in that one. Cop magnet.

/ Owning HP wakeup call #44  
LS then... what are the major mechanical differences that cause an engine to have considerably more torque than horsepower and visa versa? Stroke length, cam profile, both, or other things?
It actually comes down to only one thing.....RPM.

Because horsepower can NOT actually be measured.

Horsepower is how much torque can be applied in a given time.

HP= (torque x rpm)/5252.

Two engines can have the SAME HP....say 300 ponies. But one is at 2000rpm and the other is at 5000rpm.

Do the math backwards. First engine at 2000rpm is gonna have 525 ft lbs of torque at 2000 rpm.

The second is only gonna have 315.

That's why diesels have alot more torque than HP. Because they don't run the rpm.

Also why EVERY hp/torque graph crosses at 5252rpm. Because at that point they are always the same.

Now the things like longer stroke, or heavier pistons can change how fast an engine can rev.....but fundamentally....rpm and torque define HP.

So if you are seeing a big difference in HP and torque numbers compared to others....look at the RPM.

Also note......gearing can change torque....but the HP remains constant. Double the speed of a shaft cuts the torque in half.....but HP remains the same.

/ Owning HP wakeup call #45  
2013 Impala LS is 300hp 3555# = 0.084 power to weight ratio

86 Mustang 5.0 - 200 hp 265 ft. lbs. - 3000 lbs. = 0.066 power to weight ratio

19 Edge ST 2.7 TT - 335 hp 380 ft. lbs. - 4477 lbs. = 0.074 power to weight ratio

It's kinda fun to plug in numbers and see what you get....

2011 DK40SE 41hp ~5500# = 0.00745 hp/lb or 15hp/ton.
2002 372xp 5.3hp ~18# = 0.2944 hp/lb or 558hp/ton

/ Owning HP wakeup call #46  
Scootr,

Yep I like the one offs to.

Still a favorite is the Nelson Racing twin turbo intercooled LS 1st Gen RX 7 built about 14 years ago for at the time 73 year Young "Honest George" to Go to church and A poor mans race car" as George said,
A Good Car is one that will make you Grin.

650-1650 HP adjustable by boost pushing a button. ~ 3000lb.

At the time Nelson said this is still the "Scariest One of All" of High powered cars they built.

If George is still driving the RX7 today he would be 87

Last edited:
   / Owning HP wakeup call #47  
Oh yeah - these will make you grin. :p
I know my limits. Hopefully I can live long and have fun

/ Owning HP wakeup call #48  
Scootr,

Yep I like the one offs to.

Still a favorite is the Nelson Racing twin turbo intercooled LS 1st Gen RX 7 built about 14 years ago for at the time 73 year Young "Honest George" to Go to church and A poor mans race car" as George said,
A Good Car is one that will make you Grin.

650-1650 HP adjustable by boost pushing a button. ~ 3000lb.

At the time Nelson said this is still the "Scariest One of All" of High powered cars they built.

If George is still driving the RX7 today he would be 87

Boy that engine compartment looks put together really nicely! Everything just fits. Doesn't look like so hack job. Nice!

/ Owning HP wakeup call #49  
Boy that engine compartment looks put together really nicely! Everything just fits. Doesn't look like so hack job. Nice!

Yes really Nice job packaging the engine compartment.

I won't link the other two vids (language is a bit rough), but they do show just how strong the little RX7 runs. Low to mid 8 second car.

Even with Hoosier 300+mm drag radials the car is accelerating violently but is still making so much tire smoke they can't see anymore to drive and have to cool it because they are laughing so hard.

/ Owning HP wakeup call #50  
Yes really Nice job packaging the engine compartment.

I won't link the other two vids (language is a bit rough), but they do show just how strong the little RX7 runs. Low to mid 8 second car.

Even with Hoosier 300+mm drag radials the car is accelerating violently but is still making so much tire smoke they can't see anymore to drive and have to cool it because they are laughing so hard.
Yeah, I went and watched those too.

My mechanic works on a Miata convertible with a Chevy LS in it. He brings it by his house once in a while. RIDICULOUS!!! :ROFLMAO:

It just roasts the tires at about any speed. Great fun.