Oroville Dam Spillway failure and other construction videos.

/ Oroville Dam Spillway failure and other construction videos. #2  
Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Its a clear reminder to know/research an area before you buy a house.

/ Oroville Dam Spillway failure and other construction videos.
Oversights in engineering can and do happen anywhere. Grady Hillhouse makes some great videos about them.

/ Oroville Dam Spillway failure and other construction videos. #5  
My degree is in civil engineering and I worked in the industry as a surveyor my entire career. It was probably 34 years ago I worked on dam that had a spillway that had a very similar failure, except it was built on dirt not rock. It was also a much smaller structure. The scale of the Oroville is hard to fathom until you see people on it. The one I worked on was the city water supply but there were no structures immediately down stream. They let that spillway go
for years even though it looked terrible but they did fix it eventually.

Its a good video. My initial reaction was the title, Practical Engineering. Kind of a oxymoron.

/ Oroville Dam Spillway failure and other construction videos. #7  
I watched the failure of Oroville Dam spillway on YouTube in February 2017.

The best coverage was Blancolirio. Here is a recent update:

Last edited:
   / Oroville Dam Spillway failure and other construction videos.
How the spillway sections allow water under pressure, to get under them and eventually wash them away. was most interesting. The repairs was in part, adding more connecting strength to the surrounding sections and changing the shape at the joints. Making sure each portion was well anchored to the base rock, etc, etc.

Like everyone else, engineers make mistakes.

/ Oroville Dam Spillway failure and other construction videos. #9  
Looks to me like it's drying up just like the rest of California is.

/ Oroville Dam Spillway failure and other construction videos. #10  
No. Not at all. I'm sure you heard about Midland last year.
The reason why that dam failed on the Tibawassaee wasn't the spill way, it was poor management by the dam owner. and outdated infrastructure I live here in Michigan.