One way to repair cast iron.

/ One way to repair cast iron. #11  
Do you think it’s possible to repair a high stress casting such as a clutch housing. I’m afraid if the casting didn’t hold up a welded repaired one, would be difficult to count on.

/ One way to repair cast iron. #12  
I guess it depends on why the casting broke in the first place. A lot of time the weld is just as strong or stronger than the original metal. One problem that creates is it just moves the stress to another area causing it to crack somewhere else.

/ One way to repair cast iron. #13  
Really Nice Work and Looks great too.

Managed to recently hit a cast Iron
sitting bench when moving large square bales with the FEL.
Broke the whole side off. I had never tried the Hobart Nickel 55 sticks arc welding and gave it a shot.
Not real pretty but so far we haven't broken it again.
I did propane preheat it a bit and then did several 1 inch beads peening each until I finished.
Broke the recommended procedure though since it should probably cool between welds I guess. Oh well.
MIG welded a broken intake on an inline four in a boat (water froze) with standard .030 wire and It never leaked, maybe got lucky and the carbon content was low.?
I also tried "Cast Iron" rod on a Buick V6 upper transmission mount and it is still in one piece but it is only mounted on an engine stand.

Unfortunately just don't do enough of this to get Good at it. Nice to have access to welders though.

/ One way to repair cast iron. #14  
When I was doing sheet metal fab 40 years ago, the contractor I worked for used silicon bronze filler rod a lot with a carbon arc, it worked well

/ One way to repair cast iron. #15  
The old Carbon Arc takes me back. Used to sell a lot of carbons to the carbon arc welders. Pretty cool how it all worked.

/ One way to repair cast iron. #16  
Yea, every now n then I will break out a carbon and some silicon bronze n do a task.

Just do not breath the zink oxide if you are stitching galvanized