Oil Transfer -any White Farm Boss Experience

/ Oil Transfer -any White Farm Boss Experience #1  

Ausieray

Tractor
White 2 135 repowered Perkins 160 Phaser
Are there any old mechanics or anyone out there with experience in the bigger tractors.

I have a White 2-135 which I personally repowered some years ago with a Perkins Phaser 6 (160 hp), a very good repower.
It has recently started transfering oil from the transmission/rearend to the underdrive/overdrive box.
I am unsure if it is via the output shaft seal or maybe more likely the hydraulic actuated clutch packs in the Underdrive/overdrive box.

Anyone got any experience in this area ???

Thanks Ausieray

Last edited:
   / Oil Transfer -any White Farm Boss Experience #2  
Are there any old mechanics or anyone out there with experience in the bigger tractors.

I have a White 2-135 which I personally repowered some years ago with a Perkins Phaser 6 (160 hp), a very good repower.
It has recently started transfering oil from the transmission/rearend to the underdrive/overdrive box.
I am unsure if it is via the output shaft seal or maybe more likely the hydraulic actuated clutch packs in the Underdrive/overdrive box.

Thanks Ausieray

Ausie,
from my feeble memory (25years ago) our 2-85 did not use the tranny fluid to operate the Overdrive/underdrive clutches. They where two seperate systems. This was on a 1981 model.

Does yours have a seperate fluid reservoir for the main hydraulics, tranny, and over/under?

good luck

Roy

/ Oil Transfer -any White Farm Boss Experience
Does yours have a seperate fluid reservoir for the main hydraulics, tranny, and over/under?

Thanks for the reply Roy
The U/Odrive Box is filled seperate to the Trany/final drive and I assumed the clutches were hydraulicly actuated by the main Hyd circuit but assumations count for little. Lines run back to the tranny front casing. I have a W/Shop manual and parts book on way so will see what it shows.

It is a solid old tractor built like a battleship and the new Perkins Phaser 6T I fitted about 10 years ago is a good match. does not do a lot of work these days, mainly firebreaks.
What was the 2-85 like.

PS
Now have W/shop manual
The U/Odrive has its own pump so no transfer there. no mention of transfer in manual but I see the output shaft seal is a double lip seal so most likely thats the one. will check rear end breathers to make sure no pressurisation and rather than pull the motor and U/Odrive I might try some Morleys or other seal softener in the system

Attachments

• Web White.jpg
    Web White.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 758
Last edited:
   / Oil Transfer -any White Farm Boss Experience #4  

Thanks for the reply Roy
The U/Odrive Box is filled seperate to the Trany/final drive and I assumed the clutches were hydraulicly actuated by the main Hyd circuit but assumations count for little. Lines run back to the tranny front casing. I have a W/Shop manual and parts book on way so will see what it shows.

It is a solid old tractor built like a battleship and the new Perkins Phaser 6T I fitted about 10 years ago is a good match. does not do a lot of work these days, mainly firebreaks.
What was the 2-85 like.

I called our 2-85 the "Silver Lemon" because it was. New PTO required every year. We chopped hay and filled three 20 x 70 silos with corn silage every year so it seen some work. Final drive pinion gears went out at 2200 hours, rear main seal on the Perkins at 1500 hrs, circuit breaker would trip if you ran all of the field lights, engine constantly overheated until we installed a diffent fan, etc. When it ran it ran well but it spent to much time in the shop. Most of the 2-105's (Turboed 2-85) from that era had similar problems. At the time our neighbor owned the dealership so we had pretty good service but was still a problem.

I would suspect you are on the right track in looking at seals at vents.

Good luck

Roy

/ Oil Transfer -any White Farm Boss Experience #5  
I believe the 135 has the hydr 3 speed over/under bolted directly to the main tranny so it is possible for oil to get from one to the other by a bad seal.If not,then you have to see if they happen to share a 2 compartment oil cooler that might have sprung an internal leak

The older cockshutt versions utilized a chain and sprocket coupler between the hydra unit and tranny.
The unit is a selfcontained hydr gearbox with its own pump and control valve,not shared with the main system.

/ Oil Transfer -any White Farm Boss Experience
Thanks for the replies and collective experience and wisdom on the matter.

I checked the breather on the rear end and its clear, the level at full is much higher in the rear end than the under over box so I suspect it is just the seal letting it past into the u/over.

Have not had much time given all the flooding etc over here inour state of Queensland and now we are expecting a cyclone or two over the next couple of days.

/ Oil Transfer -any White Farm Boss Experience #7  
Thanks for the replies and collective experience and wisdom on the matter.

I checked the breather on the rear end and its clear, the level at full is much higher in the rear end than the under over box so I suspect it is just the seal letting it past into the u/over.

Have not had much time given all the flooding etc over here inour state of Queensland and now we are expecting a cyclone or two over the next couple of days.
The 3 speed uses ATF,the rear has 80w90 in it.

Yeah,you guys seem to get more than your share of bad weather!

/ Oil Transfer -any White Farm Boss Experience #8  
My 2-105 was putting trans oil in O/U. Hub seals between O/U and trans were shot and apparently building excessive pressure on the O/U output shaft seal. Remove engine to repair, install new seals and solved the problem.

Last edited:
   / Oil Transfer -any White Farm Boss Experience #9  

Thanks Ausieray
Hey everyone! I have a White 2-135 tractor that I repowered with a Perkins Phaser 6 engine, which has been working great. Recently, I've noticed an issue with oil transferring from the transmission/rearend to the underdrive/overdrive box. I suspect it could be either the output shaft seal or the hydraulic actuated clutch packs causing the problem. If anyone has experience or insights on this, I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance for your help!

/ Oil Transfer -any White Farm Boss Experience #10  
I am surprised they haven't canceled this tractor and ordered them all destroyed. Lucky for y'all that there are not a lot of woke ag people. :)