Oil leak on new 4520

/ Oil leak on new 4520 #1  

BertGSD

Tractor
Craftsman Lawn Tractor
Hi guys. I have a new 4520 with 6 hours on it. I pulled it out of my garage this weekend and there is a 4" diameter pool of oil on the floor. I am not sure if it is hydraulic or engine. Engine dipstick reads fine but hydraulic expansion tank is empty. I am gathering it is hydraulic oil. The dealer did not answer my call or texts yet, but I will let you know what they say. Any of you all have an experience like this or any thoughts?

/ Oil leak on new 4520 #2  
Where is the oil spot?

I get a few drips from the hydraulic filter. It drips down on the steering actuator and makes a puddle under that.

Run you hand around both of the filters to see if one of them are leaking.

/ Oil leak on new 4520 #3  
…watching. I’ve got a new 4520z. Dry floor so far, but it’s only got about 4 hours on it. Please keep us posted if you find the problem.

/ Oil leak on new 4520 #4  
I had a tiny seepage three years ago from right front axle nuts being slightly loose. I cranked them down to a very precise torque speck (as damed tight as I could muster) and no more seep. Difficult to acces the top few bolts, but do-able. First check all hydraulic connections you can trace up and around from the leak area. If you are abel, tighten and such joints or have dealer do it. Top-up that reservoir tank per instructions before running it much, do not let the pump run dry!

prs

/ Oil leak on new 4520 #5  
What did you find out about your leak?

I just discovered a puddle of hydraulic fluid under my 4500Z. After much de-greasing I've traced the source back to the hydraulic expansion tank. It looks like it's leaking around the nut that secures the fitting to the tank underneath the tank.

Conveniently that nut is larger than any wrench I've got - it's at least 1-1/4 and maybe larger. Don't know if tightening the nut is even possible given the cramped space or if tightening will even help.

/ Oil leak on new 4520 #6  
What did you find out about your leak?

I just discovered a puddle of hydraulic fluid under my 4500Z. After much de-greasing I've traced the source back to the hydraulic expansion tank. It looks like it's leaking around the nut that secures the fitting to the tank underneath the tank.

Conveniently that nut is larger than any wrench I've got - it's at least 1-1/4 and maybe larger. Don't know if tightening the nut is even possible given the cramped space or if tightening will even help.

In 2017 I found a problem with my tank as seen in this picture. Its sort of hard to make out but shining a flashlight down the filler neck with a mirror underneath is showing holes in the tank. Ventrac replaced it for me under warranty. It might be worth noting that the tank with the holes in it was made of black plastic and the replacement was a white plastic, so they may have changed plastic types.

To be clear, I'm suggesting that it might be a defective tank.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 120
   / Oil leak on new 4520 #7  
Thanks MountainBuck for the info and the pic. I'll take a look with a mirror like you suggested. It kinda looks to me like there should be a rubber washer or something between the bottom of the tank and the large nut that holds the fitting to the tank. I don't see a washer and that's where it's leaking but the parts diagram just shows the tank as an assembly so that doesn't clear anything up.

My machine is a little newer and it has the white plastic tank. I just downloaded the latest parts manual it now shows there are two tanks available and one of them is steel. I wonder if this has been a recurring problem with the plastic tanks. Unfortunately it's out of warranty and I'm reluctant to dig into this tangled jumble of stuff to get to the tank myself. If the steel tank fits my machine that's the way I'll go - looks like the labor to get to the tank will be a lot more than the cost of the tank. It will be interesting to see if there are holes in the tank like you experienced or something with the fitting.