Oil leak - older PT425 60” finishing mower

/ Oil leak - older PT425 60” finishing mower #1  

dcdtn

Bronze Member
Tractor
2016 Power Trac PT-425
I still have less than 200 hrs on my PT425, but the finishing mower is one of my used attachments with unknown hours.

I normally use another smaller mower to save hours on the PT, but the grass was very tall from all the rain.

Anyway, there was a sizable oil leak at the deck’s hydraulic motor after the last mowing. It probably didn’t help that I let the mower stall briefly a couple of times in tall grass.

Question is how to fix? Does this typically mean a new motor is needed? I’m not very DIY so I may just buy a new motor and have someone put it on, unless it can economically be fixed or rebuilt.

Thanks!

/ Oil leak - older PT425 60” finishing mower #2  
Sorry to hear about your leak; can you share a photo of where it is leaking? Depending on where the leak is, it could be a loose hose or fitting, a break in the hose, or yes a motor problem.

All the best,

Peter

/ Oil leak - older PT425 60” finishing mower #3  
I still have less than 200 hrs on my PT425, but the finishing mower is one of my used attachments with unknown hours.

I normally use another smaller mower to save hours on the PT, but the grass was very tall from all the rain.

Anyway, there was a sizable oil leak at the deck’s hydraulic motor after the last mowing. It probably didn’t help that I let the mower stall briefly a couple of times in tall grass.

Question is how to fix? Does this typically mean a new motor is needed? I’m not very DIY so I may just buy a new motor and have someone put it on, unless it can economically be fixed or rebuilt.

Thanks!
Send pictures of the motor. I have a couple of hydraulic motors that came with my 425. We might be able to work something out. I am not far from you. In Sweetwater. I have no idea if they would even be the right rpm's but we can start with pics.

Larry

/ Oil leak - older PT425 60” finishing mower #4  
Here are the motors I have, they seem to be the same as each other.
IMG-7501.jpg
IMG-7502.jpg
IMG-7503.jpg

/ Oil leak - older PT425 60” finishing mower
Here are some pictures of the motor and nameplate.

@Ink - unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be a match to your motors. Much smaller and higher rpm.

Doing some research on the part number, I think I found the replacement motor on eBay here for about $285. Still not 100% sure the problem is in the motor. Anyone know if these are throwaway or repairable?

5A503AE3-1087-4169-8D64-7C41B517F87F.jpeg
7981D1A6-864C-4AAB-901F-132072C2D7F5.jpeg

/ Oil leak - older PT425 60” finishing mower #6  
Thanks for the photos. Not to be troublesome, but where exactly is it leaking from? The clean spot to the left of the tag?

All the best,

Peter

/ Oil leak - older PT425 60” finishing mower #7  
Here are some pictures of the motor and nameplate.

@Ink - unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be a match to your motors. Much smaller and higher rpm.

Doing some research on the part number, I think I found the replacement motor on eBay here for about $285. Still not 100% sure the problem is in the motor. Anyone know if these are throwaway or repairable?

View attachment 757333View attachment 757334
Definitely looks like it is different. I haven't run these motors with the pto yet to see the rpm's. May have to do that soon. Good luck.

Thanks for the photos. Not to be troublesome, but where exactly is it leaking from? The clean spot to the left of the tag?

All the best,

Peter
No problem at all.

I’m not exactly sure where it’s leaking. Just noticed it when I finished mowing last and was ready to call it quits. I’ll investigate it some more.

Thanks,
David

Definitely looks like it is different. I haven't run these motors with the pto yet to see the rpm's. May have to do that soon. Good luck.

Here are some specs I found using your part number. Appears to be 1100 - 1600 RPM. I guess that depends on psi and flow rate… not very familiar with hyd motors. It looks like my motor is up to 5000 rpm. Your motor looks closer to the one on my brush cutter.

/ Oil leak - older PT425 60” finishing mower #10  
Thanks for the information. As I said, these came with the tractor when I bought it. I have been thinking about making a hedge clipper out of a sickle mower. These motors just might be the ticket. Sorry it won't work out for you, as I have two of them. Good luck with yours. I hope it is an easy fix.

Larry