Oil Leak Between Center Plate and Clutch Housing

/ Oil Leak Between Center Plate and Clutch Housing #1  

chuck9832

Tractor
Yanmar 226D
My Yanmar 226D developed an oil leak between the center plate and the clutch housing that was spraying oil on my left foot. Due to a major project that I have ongoing I limped the tractor thru the Alaska construction season and it shifted as it should in all gears forward and reverse. I now have the tractor separated at the center plate/ clutch housing joint and don't notice any apparent problems. Could it be something as simple as a bad gasket? Anyone with knowledge or input on this situation will definitely be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

/ Oil Leak Between Center Plate and Clutch Housing #2  
I would look for how the trans is vented. The trans case shouldn't be pressurized to blow oil out even if your gasket was failing unless you have a clogged vent. When the trans gets warm and is not vented it can get pressurized.

/ Oil Leak Between Center Plate and Clutch Housing #3  
My Yanmar 226D developed an oil leak between the center plate and the clutch housing that was spraying oil on my left foot. Due to a major project that I have ongoing I limped the tractor thru the Alaska construction season and it shifted as it should in all gears forward and reverse. I now have the tractor separated at the center plate/ clutch housing joint and don't notice any apparent problems. Could it be something as simple as a bad gasket? Anyone with knowledge or input on this situation will definitely be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

The transmission case does double duty as the hydraulic sump, so hydraulic fluid is constantly being returned to that sump, and then forward by suction to the hydraulic pump for another trip around the hydraulics.

And inside the transmission itself there is pressure that is used to run the powershift clutches. I don't recall how that pressure gets to the powershift - but if it runs through hollows in the gear shafts then I'd bet on there being a gasket at the end of the housing.

We need a shop manual for this. Anyone have one? I recall that manual had a real good illustration of the hydraulic path in the transmission.

Also, You have two oil filters. One is a wire mesh owner-cleanable filter in the transmission case, and the other is a spin on type. Make sure those are clean.
Also check air vents including the rear end vent at the top of the axle housing under the seat.
rScotty

BTW, yours is a vintage Yanmar and you'll get more info if you move down to that forum. Next one down