No lights on my John Deere 5320

/ No lights on my John Deere 5320 #1  

Kmicah40

Tractor
John Deere 5320, ‘56 Ford 601 (been in family since new), 2010 Kubota 900RTV, Cub Cadet 2284, Cub Cadet 2064
Just recently all the lights stop working on my John Deere 5320 tractor. The only sign of any lights is on the instrument cluster and think that is because as soon as you start the tractor those lights are on. It seams strange that I would lose every light on the tractor. I checked some of the fuses and they all seemed to be alright. What got me thinking is the only switch controlling the lights is a single rotation switch that controls what lights you want on at any given time. I've done some check with other post and found that the switch can malfunction and cause similar problems. But, the turn signals, which is another switch, does not work either. My question is there something else that could create the issues? Noticed when checking the fuses there are some larger components on the fuse panel and wondering what they are and could they be my problem. Not very good at chasing down electrical problems especially when every light stopped working. Any and all help with this is really appreciated.
Thanks.

Larry H.

/ No lights on my John Deere 5320 #2  
If you think it may be a switch see if you have voltage going into the switch. Turn on the light and see if you get voltage on that terminal. Get a wiring diagram and see if there are any relays between the switch and associated light. Troubleshooting mostly involves seeing what works and what doesn't then trying to figure out why.

/ No lights on my John Deere 5320 #3  
I sold my 5310 and my shop manual went with it but there are some relays that control various funtions, I just don't remember if the lights are on one. My guess would be the switch but without looking at a drawing I don't really know. You should get the shop manual. It's worth every penny you will pay for it.

/ No lights on my John Deere 5320 #4  
Headlamp switches are notorious for problems with age

/ No lights on my John Deere 5320
Finally got around to doing some more checking. I checked the rotating light switch and found no 12v power going into the switch at all. I checked with ignition switch on and still no power. After more searching I found right headlight bulb was some how damaged and 2 of the 3 electrical prongs were broken off the bulb. Got new bulb and replaced the bulb and that did not fix the problem. Thinking now that since none of the lights work that are controlled by the rotating light switch and also the turn signal switch I have either a relay or something else wrong. There are 10 relays which 6 controls flashing of lights 2 controls high/low beam headlights 1 controls rear work light and trailer relay and 1 seat switch relay. I checked John Deere manual troubleshooting area and it stated “Relay(s) sticking or nonfunctional. Diode to protect circuit from arcing has failed”. There is also a Flasher Module, but think all that does is control the different sequence the lights will flash. I do run local highway so would like to have my lights working. So guess I need to call my friendly JD Dealer for advice.

/ No lights on my John Deere 5320 #6  
I found that the ground wire dose corrod. Lengtern that cabel and ground it direct to the engine.

/ No lights on my John Deere 5320
Problem found and my fault. The bulb that got damaged and two of the prongs were broken off. I checked the fuse for the bulb and fuse looked good, but when talking with JD Tech he said there was a second fuse I did not know about and that fuse was bad. Replaced that fuse and problem solved. Never knew that high beam and low beam had individual fuse. Now I know and to me does not make since why they need two fuses.

/ No lights on my John Deere 5320 #8  
@Kmicah40 glad you’re fixed.
Was the blown fuse in the fuse box with all the others ?