New Toy Vermeer V-430A mini skidder

/ New Toy Vermeer V-430A mini skidder #1  

roadhunter

Elite Member
Tractor
JCB 212SU
I purchased a new toy last weekend. I'm going to make some posts with my tractor using a PTO powered peeler and needed something to get the logs up to where I can peel them without tying up my tractor.

Here is the thread that discusses the PTO powered peeler.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/332831-pto-post-peeler.html

Hopefully this little guy will move some 4-10" ponderosa pine trees for me.
$_12 (3).JPG
$_12.JPG
$_12 (1).JPG$_12 (2).JPG

Apparently it has a 2 cyl Deutz engine with a blade and 5,000 pound Ramsey winch. 733 hours. Anybody ever run one of these as a trencher? Any idea what the hydraulic flows? I'm thinking of trying to rig up a hydraulic chainsaw to run off the unit for cleaning branches off the logs before I drag them. Would also like to have aux hydraulics on the back if possible. Not exactly sure if that's possible but I've got to think that it has pretty good flow to run that winch or operate a trencher head.

/ New Toy Vermeer V-430A mini skidder #2  
You toy is very good. Looking Very Nice

/ New Toy Vermeer V-430A mini skidder #3  
That is some cool toy! Right up my alley. I love stuff that is built like a brick you know what. Nice engine too, even if a little noisy!

/ New Toy Vermeer V-430A mini skidder
Anybody have an idea what the hydraulics flow for something like this? From what I can tell that winch must require around 10 gpm +/-.

Any tips on Deutz diesel engines? This is my first.

/ New Toy Vermeer V-430A mini skidder #5  
That engine will outlive you if cared for. Keep it clean to keep it cool! Parts are readily available and reasonable. Not that you will probably need any.

The only issue is, that being air cooled you can't heat the coolant. I bought a neat OEM piece for a 3 cyl 911 of minethat actually sets fire to some diesel in the intake manifold, but that project kind of stalled and I never tried it.

That engine will outlive you if cared for. Keep it clean to keep it cool! Parts are readily available and reasonable. Not that you will probably need any.

The only issue is, that being air cooled you can't heat the coolant. I bought a neat OEM piece for a 3 cyl 911 of minethat actually sets fire to some diesel in the intake manifold, but that project kind of stalled and I never tried it.

That sounds interesting.

How are these Deutz diesels for starting in cold weather?

/ New Toy Vermeer V-430A mini skidder #7  
The 2 cyl Deutz NEEDS a glow plug to start easily in the winter, my 2 cyl Deutz tractor has one and as long as it's working the tractor will start in the cold. The 3 and 4 cyl start MUCH easier...

You must have hard ground there, with that tractor so low, it would be stuck a LOT over here...

SR

/ New Toy Vermeer V-430A mini skidder #8  
I have the 2 cyl deutz on compressors , great engines , mine dont have glow plugs , they start great in the cold .

/ New Toy Vermeer V-430A mini skidder #9  
Actually, the Deutz glow "plug" on every Deutz I've owned, is in the intake manifold and it get's a drop of fuel on the HOT glow plug. Then the atomized fuel is sucked into the combustion chamber when starting...

SR

It arrived on Saturday. Been doing little stuff like change oil, filters, fuel hose, etc.. Engine runs great and starts easily. Lots of moving parts and chains under the seat to grease and oil. Has an interesting creep mode which I assume was for running a trencher. Also has a PTO on back. Today I got to work on the boom.
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 002.jpg