new to me old Garden Way tiller.

/ new to me old Garden Way tiller. #1  

hd10fxstc

Tractor
farmall
Hi all, new here from New York, just was given a Troy-Bilt tiller, need some help identifying it.

It has a Clinton engine (498-0301-280) and a P803 stamped on the belt housing, also a 1022 above the drive for the tines. It also has cast iron wheels instead of the steel wheels that I am familiar with from my HH60. Any idea what year this is? troy-bilt1.jpg

/ new to me old Garden Way tiller. #2  
They used those old Clinton’s back in the 60’s on the horse models. I’m sure a repower is possible if the old Clinton is tired. A harbor freight “Chonda” would be a cheap alternative. If you can get the old Clinton to run and check out the gears and tiller section before you get to deep

/ new to me old Garden Way tiller.
I actually got it to run. It belonged to the husband of a lady that my wife cleans for. He passed away 11 years ago. When he passed away, the tiller was not running but it was kept in a very dry garage so it is in pretty nice shape. The plug and the points looked like new but it would not fire off of starting fluid. It looked like maybe the points were not installed correctly (possibly grounded against case?) but all I did was remove and reinstall the points and it fired right up. I cleaned the carb but it leaks through the drain valve. I moves forward and backward and the tines turn so I'll try it out when my wife is ready to plant her garden. I was trying to avoid getting the HH60 from my summer place if I could just use this smaller one around home.

4 or 4.5 I guess, hard to tell and not a lot of info about the Clinton equipped tillers. The garden my wife wants done is not large and this one seems more nimble than the 6HP that I have at the summer place, might be good for the smaller plot here.

/ new to me old Garden Way tiller. #6  
If the tiller end is OK and you get the engine ironed out use it. Might want to change the 140W oil in the tiller end.

Not a bad idea, I see 2 fill points so I guess they both take the 140W?

/ new to me old Garden Way tiller. #9  
Try and find a owner’s manual online for it to make sure of the drain and fill procedure.