New to me MT372--few questions for the group

/ New to me MT372--few questions for the group #1  

Datcatz

Tractor
1980's MT372
Hope there are still a few people out there loving on these little tractors. I absolutely love mine and I've only had it for a week now. Have already scraped my gravel drive and fixed a washout area in the back of my lot. It's a great little tractor. Would really love some help with the below questions if anyone has the time to help a "newbie."

-How long is the factory top link--mine has one on it now but it seems too long (21inch) on this setup but that look to be "standard" cat 1 top link length
-I'm missing the throttle "knob" and was wondering if anyone has found a suitable replacement and if so where I could source similar
-With the blade on the back the front it is VERY light and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for a cheap front weight setup I could create (no welder unfortunately so I'm pretty limited in that respect).

Other than that it's very COLD NATURED (hard to start when cold) but that seems to be a common quirk of these little workhorses.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP!

Hopefully photos come through okay:
mitsu 04.jpgmitsu 05.jpg

/ New to me MT372--few questions for the group #2  
Looks like a nice tractor and someone recently painted the wheels.

I found a shifter knob at Ace Hardware in their automotive section that worked great for mine although I can't really see the lever on yours. Mine was a Bolens G154 with a flat, tapered lever. The one at Ace was for a round lever but conformed to the tapered flat lever nicely as it was pushed on. You can put some RTV in the hole before installation to help keep it on. I bet Napa or similar would have things too that would work for a cheap price. I think I paid around $4 for mine.

Yes, they do not typically start "crisply" in cold weather although I've gotten them to start and run down to 6 degrees F with just glow plugs (no block heater/no starting fluid which you should never use and probably won't help anyway). They would probably go colder but that's as cold as I'm willing to tolerate for tractoring! Fuel gelling can become an issue at those temperatures. I had to jump start it off my truck and it took a fair amount of cranking but once you start seeing black smoke you're building enough heat to burn and it should take off. Most of the problem with cold weather starting on these stems from the relatively small piston diameter and the utilization of a swirl chamber which was typical of the era. There is just so much surface area of cast iron in contact with the small combustion area volumes that it robs all the heat until you get those areas to warm up.

Cheap, convenient weights are not readily had but I've seen a lot of effective "home brew" weights that might be inexpensive such as weightlifting weights, cement blocks, steel plates, etc. I use John Deere 40 lb suit case weights for the front but plan on spending $1-$2/lb for suitcase weights.

/ New to me MT372--few questions for the group
Thanks for the reply IlikeurTractor. I just threw some new Y110 Glow plugs in it but didn't see much of an improvement in cold starting. Take a lot of cranking and fiddling with throttle to finally get it to fire. I neglected to do a compression test since it was running fine when I picked it up but suspect it may be just a bit down on compression due to the age.

Will definitely check out Ace and see what I can find to work for me. Checked Tractor Supply Co., Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc for something I could rig to work but as of yet no luck. Looks like that handle may have had a set screw in it originally.

I found a local scrap yard that I'm going to hit up this weekend to see what they may have in the way of some nice steel plates to bolt to that front end. I am going to also try my hand at adding washer fluid to the front tires/tubes this weekend as well. Figure if there are tubes in there, the risk is minimal for rim rust issues.

I'm also having trouble find an inexpensive suitable seat to install on there as this one gets my butt wet due to having cracks all in it...HEHEHE.

Loving the little beast thus far.

/ New to me MT372--few questions for the group #4  
You're welcome. Make sure glow plugs are pre-heated 20-30 seconds before cranking. If you have to "fiddle" with the fuel lever a lot that is typically a sign compression is starting to go. The knob I used for my tractor is a 76935 Dorman. I'm not sure if it will fit your handle but works nicely for Bolens/Iseki tractors. I even like it better than the original.

Thanks again...I'll see what O'Reilly's has this afternoon. The TEMPS were much nicer today (60 degrees) and she fired right up. Set it middle of throttle range turned GP on for 30-45 second (hot on the indicator) and it cranked no more than 5 seconds! I was amazed. I had also put a fresh air cleaner in there but don't think that was it. I would be interested to know if anyone uses block heaters and if so what kind of block heater do they use on this one Freeze plug, antifreeze style, etc. I would like to be able to plow snow and really don't want to have to store this in the garage (rather put her int he unheated shed). THANKS again for the reply. Good to hear others are still enjoying this little tractors.

/ New to me MT372--few questions for the group #6  
I've used both the freeze plug style and circulation type. In my opinion the freeze plug style are cleaner but the circulation type can be a higher wattage and therefore heat up the block faster. If you want to leave it plugged in overnight though the lower wattage ones would probably be better.

/ New to me MT372--few questions for the group #7  
Yep. have a MT180D and for sure a block heater is your best friend. One hour of 'pre heat' and you are good to go.
Heck, even in hot summer days my MT wants a cycle of glow plug heat. That's normal. Not to fret.
I even installed a remote wireless power switch (uses a 'key fob') and in winter generally give my MT an hour or more of 'comfort'. So far never let me down. Great engines other than not liking cold. LOL.

NB, have owned my MT for close to 20 years now and still can not find major flaws. I liken it to Kubota reputed quality, and I have worked mine rather hard.
Treat it nice and it will serve you very well.

that folks. I'll have to try to figure out the easiest way to add one. I'm thinking freeze plug type. If anyone has info on how to install one of these I would GREATLY appreciate it. Heck I'm not even sure WHERE the freeze plug is on this tractor but haven't looking at it closely yet to look for it. I also saw one that replaces the oil check plug which is VERY interesting to me for EASE of install and could be removed in summer when it's not needed.

THANKS again for welcoming me to the forum. I'm already getting asked by friends to bring the tractor over and do this and do that...can't wait 'til I get my trailer and get the MT372 sorted out completely (weight on front end and general oil change, hydro fluid swap/clean, etc) to start playing with my "toy."

/ New to me MT372--few questions for the group #9  
On my Mitsu K3 engine the proper location is the freeze plug located behind the oil filter.
Any good auto parts should be able to supply the proper heater, they can search in catalogs by engine type. 400 watts is what you aim for.

Forget the dipstick heater and magnetic styles, only use the 'frost plug' or 'in line hose' heaters.

Installation is simple enough, drive a screw driver into the freeze plug and pry it out, grease the O ring on the heater, insert and tighten the screw. Done.
Top up the coolant as required. (good time to replace coolant)

thanks Piloon..I will certainly try to get that sorted out before next fall. Just got back from taking the tractor to a friends house to help remove 15 years worth of leaf debris from his lot...the scrape blade may note have been the ideal implement for the task but the MT372 absolutely did its part to making the job quick and easy. Love this little tractor!