New tires and long arm tarp kit for my dump.

/ New tires and long arm tarp kit for my dump. #1  

nisaacs

Platinum Member
Tractor
970 John Deere 4x2, 970 John Deere 4x4, 4320 John Deere, 995 Case/IH
Had a heavy wet load of mule manure on Sunday and blew one out. oem is 215/75x17.5, 8k axles, so I went with 235/75x17.5 Sailun S637, 16ply, 75 mph all position. It is hard to unroll the tarp with a tall load, even with 2 people, so I got a long arm kit to do that for me. Buyers Products 3016666 kit. New set of batteries too. oem were 550 cca, new ones are 800, I had to order one, should be here tomorrow.

0314231623.jpg
0314231613.jpg

0316230952.jpg

/ New tires and long arm tarp kit for my dump.
Installed the arm kit but I have to pull at least two springs out, it is way too stout with all four, I could only crank it about 3/4 forward. Then I can finish the final adjustment. The fit and finish is really good other than the 90 degree elbows, they are too tight. You have to grind them some for a slip fit. It is a universal kit, so you have to cut and drill holes for your application.

0317231027.jpg
0317231044.jpg
0317231707.jpg
0317231714.jpg

/ New tires and long arm tarp kit for my dump. #3  
Nice! Now you can be really full of **** :ROFLMAO:

Do the 235’s fit on stock rims with no issues?

Nice! Now you can be really full of **** :ROFLMAO:

Do the 235’s fit on stock rims with no issues?

Yes, they are 6.75" wide, the recommended width.

Installed another slack adjuster to my dump trailer. This time to my tarp crank, works good.

Before:

0319231256.jpg

After:

0331231218.jpg

/ New tires and long arm tarp kit for my dump. #6  
I tried the slack adjuster trick on my jacks. It worked, but the drill really had to spin fast & long time to raise lower in the higher ratio setting. Lower ratio setting was too difficult for typical 1/2” cordless DeWalt drill.
I used a 1/4” stud one drilled through the handle shaft. Seemed like it would work well….

I think I’m back to hand cranking. :(

Or I’d have find a more suitable drill.

Last edited:
Now that this is my primary trailer, I have been shopping for 5k springs. Mostly I am trying to get more loaded bed height, the new larger tires helped me by 1/2". The best price I could find is $500 for a full set. So, I disassembled my spares and added the third leaf in the pack to my rear springs and the 4th leaf to my front, should give me about 4.5k spring. It only helped my lift by 1/4" empty, hopping for maybe 1/2" loaded.

The plastic bushing in the new springs were junk, plumb worn out already, the nylon ones that I installed were fine but I replaced them again anyway.

Also talking with Diamond C trailers for one of their high flow pumps. They are designed for the telescopic cylinders, so only power up and gravity down but I think they will be fine on my scissors. They worked with KTI pumps in the design, so they have an exclusive on this pump. About a 50% increase in cycle time over the standard pumps.

0416231527.jpg

Finished the install yesterday. Nice! Not quite twice as fast (up) but almost. The gravity down is still slow but since there is no battery drain, I will just deal with it. Not sure what the flow is but I think in the 3-3.5 gpm range, standard pumps are 2. The motor on a standard pump is 1.6 kw, this one is 2.2. I was a little worried about programing the wireless remote but it was easy. It is way more handy, than using the corded remote.

0505231644.jpg

Installed another slack adjuster to my dump trailer. This time to my tarp crank, works good.

Before:

View attachment 792469

After:

View attachment 792470

Too much work, so I installed a tarp motor. Works awesome and fast. The drill had the power, but too slow and would twist me into a pretzel.

Sure do like this long arm tarp kit. I can deploy it a couple of feet and protect the back of my truck cab. The commercial chippers can throw the big chunks 50' There are times when there is no room to get beside the trailer and they have to shoot it up the rear. I have a small dent above the rear window from the sucker.

It does look like I am going to have to fold out the tow mirrors, the motor is creating a blind spot with them folded in. Even on 7' wide dump trailers I always keep them folded in, due to delivery location obstacles and narrow roads.

1688298633651.png

1688298698943.png

1688298794628.png

/ New tires and long arm tarp kit for my dump. #10  
Very nice. I am going to need an electric tarp kit for the dump truck I am building. May be looking for some help on that.