New Pioneer 520 Arrived

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived
I believe the P700 has more of an automotive 3 speed transmission that can be paddle shifted, the 500/520 of course use more of an auto-clutch, manual transmission, with the option of the machine shifting gears for you (auto mode) or manual mode where you paddle shift it. Honda's P1000 uses a 6-speed, dual clutch transmission. Interesting that Honda utilizes 3 completely different kind of transmissions on these machines, none of them being the most common used CVT transmission.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #72  
I believe the P700 has more of an automotive 3 speed transmission that can be paddle shifted, the 500/520 of course use more of an auto-clutch, manual transmission, with the option of the machine shifting gears for you (auto mode) or manual mode where you paddle shift it. Honda's P1000 uses a 6-speed, dual clutch transmission. Interesting that Honda utilizes 3 completely different kind of transmissions on these machines, none of them being the most common used CVT transmission.
I believe some of there 4 wheelers used a similar setup. I was kind of surprised my buddy has a turbo razr. He claimed they recommend changing the drive belt annually. My pioneer 500 tranny shares the same sump and fluid as engine.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #73  
I think a lot of potential buyers that are attracted the 520's small size and dump bed as a little transporter to run errands, go to the mailbox, working in the yard, etc., end up going with other choices such as the small Mule, golf carts, etc. for easier steering and to not skid up the turf so much.
If I'm not mistaken, the small Mule has a selectable locking differential, but no engine braking.

I'd be using whatever I get in the woods. The lack if any differential on the rear axle is a non-starter for me. I already have an antique ATV/UTV with no differentials. I don't need another one.

I've owned a small Mule 610 for 8 years, Polaris Ranger 500 3 years, and now a Mule Pro MX 3 years, and none of them ever needed belt replacement, or adjustment. I did need to adjust the P520's clutch after 40 hours or so but it only took 20 minutes.

If I'm not mistaken, the small Mule has a selectable locking differential, but no engine braking.

I'd be using whatever I get in the woods. The lack if any differential on the rear axle is a non-starter for me. I already have an antique ATV/UTV with no differentials. I don't need another one.

Yes the small Mules have selectable locking rear diff, and no engine braking. And the brakes on mine took a lot of effort slowing down when loaded on steep hills, but that was a 2006, Kawasaki may have improved them. The Mule Pro MX has the locker and excellent engine braking though.
I can say not having a differential does chew up my trails on the turns. I had the same issue in a few places with the Ranger mostly at sharp up hill turns because though it had a differential it HAD to be locked before it could go into 4WD which is crazy! I try not to take the P520 on my trails that have tight corners when it's wet. A neighbor has a P700 that he often has to drive up beside his garage then turn across the driveway and that little area is almost bare of grass. And his rear tires wore out after 3 years which isn't surprising as he rides it on pavement some. But he loves the fact that it "goes almost anywhere in 2WD". :)

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #75  
Yes the small Mules have selectable locking rear diff, and no engine braking. And the brakes on mine took a lot of effort slowing down when loaded on steep hills, but that was a 2006, Kawasaki may have improved them. The Mule Pro MX has the locker and excellent engine braking though.
I can say not having a differential does chew up my trails on the turns. I had the same issue in a few places with the Ranger mostly at sharp up hill turns because though it had a differential it HAD to be locked before it could go into 4WD which is crazy! I try not to take the P520 on my trails that have tight corners when it's wet. A neighbor has a P700 that he often has to drive up beside his garage then turn across the driveway and that little area is almost bare of grass. And his rear tires wore out after 3 years which isn't surprising as he rides it on pavement some. But he loves the fact that it "goes almost anywhere in 2WD". :)

The Honda Pioneer 700 has a locking rear differential. He should not be having those problems, unless he is leaving it locked all the time (and I don't think you can lock it in 2WD).

[EDIT: my statement above is incorrect. The P700 has a locking FRONT differential. It appears that the rear is always locked. Thanks to those who pointed this out.]

Last edited:
   / New Pioneer 520 Arrived #76  
The Honda Pioneer 700 has a locking rear differential. He should not be having those problems, unless he is leaving it locked all the time (and I don't think you can lock it in 2WD).
Does it have a Turf mode like Polaris? So what your saying is the 700 has an open rear diff in 2wd and it locks the rear when 4wd is engaged even if the front diff locker isn't engaged? I know from owning the 500 the rear is locked all the time 2wd and 4wd, the front diff is open in 4wd, same with the 520 I presume. Honda should explain this better on there website or to there salespeople.

Are you sure? I believe the Pioneer has no rear differential, ie it's locked all the time.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #78  
Does it have a Turf mode like Polaris? So what your saying is the 700 has an open rear diff in 2wd and it locks the rear when 4wd is engaged even if the front diff locker isn't engaged? I know from owning the 500 the rear is locked all the time 2wd and 4wd, the front diff is open in 4wd, same with the 520 I presume. Honda should explain this better on there website or to there salespeople.
From what I understand, the Pioneer 700 does have a rear differential (unlike the 500). It has three modes: 2WD, 4WD, and 4WD w/diff lock.

Scroll down and click on the Drive Train section of this specs page:

Last edited:
Where it mentions: ...Automotive-style automatic transmission with hydraulic torque converter, three forward gears and Reverse. Three drive modes include 2WD, 4WD and 4WD with Differential lock. AT/MT modes with paddle shifting on the deluxe models.... ?

It is confusing but I was told: 2WD = powered by the two locked rear wheels, 4WD adds the front, 4WD Lock locks the front differential.

/ New Pioneer 520 Arrived #80  
Where it mentions: ...Automotive-style automatic transmission with hydraulic torque converter, three forward gears and Reverse. Three drive modes include 2WD, 4WD and 4WD with Differential lock. AT/MT modes with paddle shifting on the deluxe models.... ?

It is confusing but I was told: 2WD = powered by the two locked rear wheels, 4WD adds the front, 4WD Lock locks the front differential.
That is exactly what I thought and have experienced with on a few other atvs. Ex. 2wd both
Rears will spin 4wd both rears and one front spins, diff lock all four wheels spin.