Buying Advice New Member Help! Massey 1030 & 1431

/ New Member Help! Massey 1030 & 1431 #1  

jadkins223

Tractor
Searching for my 1st. Need advice.
Hi gents, I have been using the search forums and decided to sign up yesterday. I just bought 5 acres and need a tractor. A member of my family has a massey 1030 4x4 w/FEL. They are willing to sell it to me for $3,500. I am only worried because of the amount of dirt work that needs to be done and not sure if the tractor will have enough lead in its pencil. After the dirt work is done the tractor will be perfect because I will just be maintaining such as top dressing my 600 foot driveway and brush hogging. It doesn't have a live PTO so that will take some getting use to. Any insight appreciated on the Massey 1030. Theres not much info out there them. Pics below.

I have also found a massey 1431 locally 4x4 FEL with a box blade for 8k, any insight on that appreciate too.

IMG_2323.JPGIMG_2324.JPGIMG_2325.JPGIMG_2326.JPGIMG_2392.jpg

/ New Member Help! Massey 1030 & 1431 #2  
I'd pass on 1030 unless price was my only concern. Get a modern tractor. Craigslist Tulsa has tons of tractors plus your near Enlow's Tractor Auction. You will be able to find a killer deal if your patient.

Also I have a buddy thats in sales at Great Plains Kubota near Edmond. They get some pretty good trade-ins and sell them pretty cheap from what I see.

/ New Member Help! Massey 1030 & 1431
I'd pass on 1030 unless price was my only concern. Get a modern tractor. Craigslist Tulsa has tons of tractors plus your near Enlow's Tractor Auction. You will be able to find a killer deal if your patient.

Also I have a buddy thats in sales at Great Plains Kubota near Edmond. They get some pretty good trade-ins and sell them pretty cheap from what I see.

Thanks for the reply sir. Are you saying pass on the 1030 because of age? I知 not very mechanically inclined so the last thing I need is something that痴 need a lot of work haha. I actually went out to Enlow last week and they had a 28 horse Kubota 4x4 loader for 11k.

Price is definitely something I知 being cautious about. That痴 why the 1030 seemed appealing. I doubt the tractor gets used a lot once the dirt work I need to do is done. Im tempted to rent a skid steer for a weekend and knock the dirt work out and then I could probably Maintainability my acres with a small Kubota bx series ?? Like the bx23 ? Or a Kioti CK3510. Or are those simply too small to do anything with? The dealers ive been to they are really pushing the really small subcompact tractors

/ New Member Help! Massey 1030 & 1431 #5  
Age isn't as much of a concern as the pto. Eventually you will drive the tractor into something when that pto pushes you unexpectedly. Also I don't know how close a Massey dealership is to you.

With not being very mechanically inclined I would look for something with strong dealer support in your area. There is a large Kubota dealership just up Rt. 66 from Enlow's. You would always have parts available and dealer tech's to keep you going.

I can't comment on the 28 hp Kubota without seeing it. There is a ton of Kubota's in Tulsa that have seen a hard life at the hands of hired construction workers so be careful.

Dewey or Josh at Enlow's are reliable and usually have time to help you as long as it isn't sale day.

The BX's seem tiny to me but a lot of people on here have them. I'd probably look at a 25 to 35 hp machine for 5 acres in your area.

I think your on the right track to rent a skid steer for the bigger dirt work and buy the right sized tractor for maintenance.

It wouldn't hurt to dealer shop a bit. Go to the major dealers in the area and see who you would like to deal with for parts and service. I would definitely stay with a name brand with local support.

thank you for all of your information. I hate to buy used but buying a new one wouldn't be smart for me right now with building the house and all. I'm leaning pretty hard toward either kubota mahindra or new Holland because they are all pretty popular in the area. Thanks again sir

/ New Member Help! Massey 1030 & 1431 #7  
I believe the 1030 does have a live PTO with a 2 stage clutch. they were made by toyosha from japan. toyosha became part of hinomoto, which then became part of hitachi. that model was discontinued in the early 90s. parts are impossible to get. i also want to know what happened to the hood. that whole series, 1010 up to the 1045 was solid except when you need parts and can't get them. We had to get a local machine shop to manufacture a head gasket for us. we wound up selling the tractor 2 years later.

i have no experience with the 1431, but they seem to have had a short manufacture run, made by iseki, who still does CUts for MF, and are about 33 hp.

/ New Member Help! Massey 1030 & 1431 #8  
New Member Help! Massey 1030 & 1431

I’m going to buck the trend and say that $3500 is a good deal for anything with 4x4 and a loader especially when it’s owned by family and you know the history. If you just bought the property and finances are a concern, it might be a good deal to buy that little Massey and work it until you can afford something better.

Rent construction equipment to do the dirt work and use the little Massey for maintenenace. $3500 is barely a down payment on a new machine.

/ New Member Help! Massey 1030 & 1431 #9  
Thanks for the reply sir. Are you saying pass on the 1030 because of age? I知 not very mechanically inclined so the last thing I need is something that痴 need a lot of work haha. I actually went out to Enlow last week and they had a 28 horse Kubota 4x4 loader for 11k.
Hi Jad

I have the smaller version of that tractor (1010) and it is very difficult to find parts for them! They were built for MF by a Japanese company called hinomoto, that went out of business years ago. You can find used parts from tractor salvage yards but sometimes you will need to be patient to find parts. And they will be expensive. This will sound funny but at 3500 the tractor is actually worth more as parts! You will also need to be somewhat mechanically inclined or willing to learn because the dealer shop rates on getting old tractors fixed is what makes new tractors look like a bargain!

Well the thought of having to hunt down parts sounds like a mess. I've got my eye on a few other. I've found a 2002 John deere 790 with FEL, box blade, angle blade, brush hog and 16 foot trailer for 11k. Has 460 hours. Good deal right???