New in Texas, How to Move John Deere Tractor

/ New in Texas, How to Move John Deere Tractor #1  

gwhizz63

Tractor
John Deere 310D
I have recently lost a great brother in law who had just purchased a new JD Tractor. I have 2 questions. One, what would be best way to get tractor from Oregon to Texas? Two, it has been sitting for a year now, what needs to be done before using it again?
Thanks, George.

/ New in Texas, How to Move John Deere Tractor #2  
Sell it in Oregon. Buy one in Texas with what you get for it. Moving it will be expensive. Prices are probably a bit higher in OR than in TX. Since used prices are higher than in the past, you will likely be able to get the same or better tractor.

This would be even more true if you are not emotionally attached to JD green. Even if you are, I'd bet the numbers for selling and repurchase are better than cost to haul it down here.

/ New in Texas, How to Move John Deere Tractor #3  
By contractor flatbed truck.

You didn't state the Deere model, so I'm assuming it's super large.

I transported my YM2610 aka Deere 850 on a 6.4x12 utility trailer over 680 miles. Of course none of that was thru the Rockies! Those mountains and grades are white knuckle driving while towing.

/ New in Texas, How to Move John Deere Tractor #4  
I listed a tractor move within Texas on Uship and got a number of quotes. I used one to move the JD 6405 from near Dallas to south Texas. Cost was about $800 two years ago. Likely more now with diesel at over $5/gal.

/ New in Texas, How to Move John Deere Tractor
Sell it in Oregon. Buy one in Texas with what you get for it. Moving it will be expensive. Prices are probably a bit higher in OR than in TX. Since used prices are higher than in the past, you will likely be able to get the same or better tractor.

This would be even more true if you are not emotionally attached to JD green. Even if you are, I'd bet the numbers for selling and repurchase are better than cost to haul it down here.
Well, his wife was against selling, saying that he would have wanted me to have it. Not sure of model, l know he paid $38,000 for it two years ago and weighs less than 4000 lbs.

/ New in Texas, How to Move John Deere Tractor #6  
Go to Tractor House. They have a way to figure the freight cost. May not be the best price but it will give you a starting place for the price.

I know this will offend some on here. Do not use Uship. Many on Uship do not have the proper insurance. If they did they could not afford to move things as cheaply as they do. Make sure the carrier has the proper registrations i.e. MC number and DOT number. Also make sure they have commercial truck, trailer and cargo insurance. A lot of personal truck insurances will not pay for a claim if the truck is "For Hire". Also request pictures before they load the tractor. Hire a broker that will move it as a partial with a range for delivery dates which should lower the cost. You can ask for something like a July 4 to the 10 for example.

Call the dealer where he bought the tractor and ask for a recommendation for a trucking company or broker to do the job.

/ New in Texas, How to Move John Deere Tractor #7  
If you have a truck, just purchase a flatbed trailer and haul it yourself. Then eithr keep the trailer or sell it and get most, if not all, your investment back. Unless youve never towed before…..learning while hauling a tractor may not be fun.

/ New in Texas, How to Move John Deere Tractor #8  
3032514546.gif

and enjoy the forum!

/ New in Texas, How to Move John Deere Tractor #9  
Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry for the circumstances that brought you to us but I'm sure you'll find some great advice around here.

/ New in Texas, How to Move John Deere Tractor #10  
Move it same way you move other tractors and do the same things to it after setting up as you do to other tractors after they set up.