New Holland TC 40 (shibaura 4 cyl) vs Boomer 40 (LS Mitron 3 cyl)

/ New Holland TC 40 (shibaura 4 cyl) vs Boomer 40 (LS Mitron 3 cyl) #1  

Yorgo

Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
Hello all,

Been the proud owner of a NH TC40 DA for over 10 yrs. and was surprised to see that NH moved away from the shibuara power plant for the LS Mytron.
Anyboby know why?
How do the two engines stack up?

My tractor/engine has been rock solid with no problems…nock on wood, but I have wonder what part availability will look like in the coming years.

/ New Holland TC 40 (shibaura 4 cyl) vs Boomer 40 (LS Mitron 3 cyl) #2  
Hello all,

Been the proud owner of a NH TC40 DA for over 10 yrs. and was surprised to see that NH moved away from the shibuara power plant for the LS Mytron.
Anyboby know why?
How do the two engines stack up?

My tractor/engine has been rock solid with no problems…nock on wood, but I have wonder what part availability will look like in the coming years.
My tractor is a Ford New Holland 1715 with the Shibaru 3 cylinder and I agree they are good tractors. Other than mine being very cold blooded to start, it's a good little tractor. The older tractors were rebranded Shibaru tractors built in Japan. I am not sure when, but the decision was made at corporate level to partner with LS tractor, most likely for financial reasons rather than quality. I really haven't heard anything really negative about the LS or New Holland tractors other than they aren't green or orange.

/ New Holland TC 40 (shibaura 4 cyl) vs Boomer 40 (LS Mitron 3 cyl) #3  
I had a TC26DA for 15 years and traded it in last spring on a new Workmaster 40. The dealers around here don't really carry the Boomer line except in the cab models. Your TC40DA is likely set up much like my TC26DA, and as such is a much more refined tractor than the Workmaster 40. The Shibuara engine was no problem but I did have a problem with a cracked transmission case that cost me like $4000 to fix. I am told the the current tractor is built heavier, and I hope that's the case.
I can't comment on the engine longevity with 70 or so hours on it, but it seems ok so far. If I live long enough, I might be more versed in the overall quality of the machine when it has five or six hundred hours on it. The TC series is definitely more ergonomic, I will say that much, not that there is anything wrong with the workmaster, just some things are less convenient. The ignition switch on the TC26DA was in a weird place that my knee used to hit. The workmaster's is more off to the side and out of the way. The seatbelt doesn't retract and I thought that was a good thing, but it's just as annoying to get on as the TC one was. Your TC40 is a nice machine, and if I had bought a little bigger in 2006, and had the three ranges, I might still have had it. Time will tell on these LS machines.
I am hoping against hope that the LS built machines might have less expensive repair parts. The treadle pedal pads on the TC26 DA lasted about three or four years, but cost me $52 the first tiime I replaced 'em and $60 for the pair the second time, a bit much, for one example.
I actually liked the treadle pedal, but in winter it was a nuisance to clear the ice that would get underneath the back and prevent reverse use. I thought it would be a little tricky getting used to the side by side pedals, particularly since I do a lot of dumping snow off of some pretty high banks, but so far I haven't done anything dangerous with them.
And no, I couldn't find any car type pads that fit the treadle or could easily be adapted to it.
Picture shows an old $30 pad. Second shows delivery/pickup day last spring.

Attachments

• DSCN2269.JPG
    DSCN2269.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 183
  • new old.jpg
    new old.jpg
    737.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
   / New Holland TC 40 (shibaura 4 cyl) vs Boomer 40 (LS Mitron 3 cyl) #4  
What year Boomer? The Boomer 30,35,40,50 from 2011 to about 2013 was made by LS Mtron but they used the Mitsubishi S4L 4 cylinder Diesel engine. I bought a 2011 Boomer 30.

I forget the reasons they switched from the Japanese Shibaura to the Korean LS made in 2011, but it only lasted about 3 years. I forget if it was cost or available options. But LS didn’t make a cabbed version for them so I believe that was a big factor for them switching back. Then enter the entire CVT fiasco.

New Holland has never made their sub and compact line of tractors. They have always outsourced it, cut a few corners from what the OEM put on their own, and then marked it up significantly.

The LS version of my 2011 Boomer 30 was several thousand cheaper, came with dual rear remotes and a stronger loader. But at the time I didn’t know what LS was and there wasn’t a dealer within 500 miles. There are now though.

Mine has been pretty rock solid and I’ve been happy with it, though I really wish I knew they had a boomer 35. The 28hp is a little weak and my chipper and brush mower would love the extra HP.

I haven’t looked at the 2017+, so I don’t really know the details on it. I do know tractor data has a typo because it is LS MTron (no i).

I think if you look in the history in this forum you will get all the details. I was a member of the old one before it was destroyed by Tapatalk and I know it was discussed.