New Holland T6030 Diesel Injection Pump Removal

/ New Holland T6030 Diesel Injection Pump Removal #11  
Wow good write up! that took some time. no reply? But I will :) I have a Ford 1500 with Shabaura 2 cyl.. is the pump & timing similar to above? I bought it not running, The previous owner had the Fuel injection pump rebuilt $900 (I hope he kept the rebuilt one on machine? but could have put old one back on? which he said did not need to be "rebuilt" after all and he talked about a core return) Also had new Injectors, head resurfaced, 2 new valves, After the work he said it "Was not running strong" and his brother maybe did not do pump timing correctly? To get it running at all, I replaced burned out Glow plug and indicator, Cleaned tank, blew out all fuel lines, new fuel, bled fuel lines.. finally got it running.. but after a minute or 2 the tractor will slowly die. then takes about 5 minutes before it will start again and same thing.. dies after 2 or 3 minutes. it has bluish dry smoke while cranking over and running. It sounds knocky to me.. but I am a novice. I can operate attachments and FEL PTO backhoe when I first start it.. as it runs pretty strong then, but then starts to weaken.. before it ultimately dies. I am going to try running without the gas cap tomorrow, see if that works and maybe I might do a compression check.. Any ideas? Any help appreciated.

Those 2 cylinder shiburas are very knocky when they first start. To me it sounds like you are losing fuel pressure when it dies.

/ New Holland T6030 Diesel Injection Pump Removal #12  
Quote Originally Posted by Tractorboy88 View Post
Woohoo my friend, you're in for a job. Have pulled several of those mechanical Bosch units off T6050/6030/TS-115 tractors.

Step 1. Disconnect battery. Seriously, you have to remove starter to locate engine. (13mm wrench)

Step 2. Remove the starter and fuel priming/lift pump. (17mm socket, 22 mm socket, 10mm socket) Removal of the priming pump is necessary to view the camshaft and determine if the engine is in the correct TDC position or 180* out.

Step 3. Rotate engine in its direction of travel (this is important, as it accounts for backlash in the timing gears) until the TDC pin hole lines up in flywheel/block. (You can use a pry-bar or large flat head screwdriver on the flywheel to turn it over, or go buy the factory tool for $$$.) If you go too far past, back up a substantial amount, and then come back to try again. This again accounts for gear backlash. The pin hole is at an angle. Slide a suitable pin through the hole and lock the engine in TDC position (you can go buy the factory tool, or use a correct diameter and length screwdriver/drill bit/pin that you have laying around the shop, the choice is yours).

Step 4. Inspect the camshaft through the priming pump access hole.

New Holland T6030 Diesel Injection Pump Removal-camshaft-step-jpg

This is what you should see, if the camshaft looks otherwise, remove the lock pin and rotate the engine 360. Revisit step 3 to lock engine back down.

Step 5. Loosen the lock time bolt on pump (10mm socket on 1/4" drive ratchet!), remove the spacer tab, and tighten down bolt to lock pump. Keep track of the spacer tab. It's a small bolt, don't break it off Hercules, just snug it. (This isn't all that important if you're having your pump rebuilt, as a good pump shop will lock time it to spec when they give it back to you.)

Step 6. Remove all lines, linkages, and brackets necessary. Remove the pump flange bolts. (13mm socket and wrench)

Step 7. Remove the timing gear inspection cover off the backside of the engine, between the cab and engine.

Step 8. CAREFULLY break free the retaining nut (22 or 23mm socket) and remove the nut and lock washer WITHOUT dropping either into the crankcase! (I normally use a 1/4" sized extendable magnet stick to prevent me from screwing this up when removing/installing washer and nut. Stick the magnet on to the pump shaft and center it up, then unthread the nut and slide the nut and washer onto the magnet stick, keeping you from dropping them.)

Step 9. The pump is an interference fit into its timing gear. It has to be pushed/pulled apart. It is not keyed, although the pump shaft has a key way.

You'll either want to use the inspection cover as a template to make a pusher tool, or best yet, buy this tool from Snap-On, Amazon, EBay, etc. Puller, Gear which bolts onto the timing gear and pushes the pump shaft out of the gear as you tighten.

I once made my own tool that bolted up using the inspection cover bolt threads and had a 1/2" bolt center lined with the shaft, so when I tightened the 1/2" bolt, it pushed the pump out of the gear.

Although it has been done, I don't advise hammering on the shaft with the nut screwed on flush, because you'll booger the shaft on a $2500 pump.

If done correct, when the pump shaft pops free and you remove the pump, the key way on the shaft should line up with a hash mark on the back of the pump.

Good luck. If you own this tractor, or one equipped with these pumps, you'll get used to doing this.

yes nice write up

I'm at the stage of removing the injection pump gear, when i put a socket on the nut and try to rotate it, it rotates the whole gear!! The flywheel is locked on #1 but yet the injection pump gear is rotating and when i let go of the ratchet it spring returns back. My question is how and why is this gear turning when the flywheel is locked? This should be a solid gear mesh or is there something i'm missing? I've removed lots of injection pump before but this is the first on this type of engine. Thanks for any tips or advise

/ New Holland T6030 Diesel Injection Pump Removal #13  
Quote Originally Posted by Tractorboy88 View Post
Woohoo my friend, you're in for a job. Have pulled several of those mechanical Bosch units off T6050/6030/TS-115 tractors.

Step 1. Disconnect battery. Seriously, you have to remove starter to locate engine. (13mm wrench)

Step 2. Remove the starter and fuel priming/lift pump. (17mm socket, 22 mm socket, 10mm socket) Removal of the priming pump is necessary to view the camshaft and determine if the engine is in the correct TDC position or 180* out.

Step 3. Rotate engine in its direction of travel (this is important, as it accounts for backlash in the timing gears) until the TDC pin hole lines up in flywheel/block. (You can use a pry-bar or large flat head screwdriver on the flywheel to turn it over, or go buy the factory tool for $$$.) If you go too far past, back up a substantial amount, and then come back to try again. This again accounts for gear backlash. The pin hole is at an angle. Slide a suitable pin through the hole and lock the engine in TDC position (you can go buy the factory tool, or use a correct diameter and length screwdriver/drill bit/pin that you have laying around the shop, the choice is yours).

New Holland T6030 Diesel Injection Pump Removal-camshaft-step-jpg

This is what you should see, if the camshaft looks otherwise, remove the lock pin and rotate the engine 360. Revisit step 3 to lock engine back down.

Step 5. Loosen the lock time bolt on pump (10mm socket on 1/4" drive ratchet!), remove the spacer tab, and tighten down bolt to lock pump. Keep track of the spacer tab. It's a small bolt, don't break it off Hercules, just snug it. (This isn't all that important if you're having your pump rebuilt, as a good pump shop will lock time it to spec when they give it back to you.)

Step 6. Remove all lines, linkages, and brackets necessary. Remove the pump flange bolts. (13mm socket and wrench)

Step 7. Remove the timing gear inspection cover off the backside of the engine, between the cab and engine.

Step 8. CAREFULLY break free the retaining nut (22 or 23mm socket) and remove the nut and lock washer WITHOUT dropping either into the crankcase! (I normally use a 1/4" sized extendable magnet stick to prevent me from screwing this up when removing/installing washer and nut. Stick the magnet on to the pump shaft and center it up, then unthread the nut and slide the nut and washer onto the magnet stick, keeping you from dropping them.)

Step 9. The pump is an interference fit into its timing gear. It has to be pushed/pulled apart. It is not keyed, although the pump shaft has a key way.

You'll either want to use the inspection cover as a template to make a pusher tool, or best yet, buy this tool from Snap-On, Amazon, EBay, etc. Puller, Gear which bolts onto the timing gear and pushes the pump shaft out of the gear as you tighten.

I once made my own tool that bolted up using the inspection cover bolt threads and had a 1/2" bolt center lined with the shaft, so when I tightened the 1/2" bolt, it pushed the pump out of the gear.

Although it has been done, I don't advise hammering on the shaft with the nut screwed on flush, because you'll booger the shaft on a $2500 pump.

If done correct, when the pump shaft pops free and you remove the pump, the key way on the shaft should line up with a hash mark on the back of the pump.

Good luck. If you own this tractor, or one equipped with these pumps, you'll get used to doing this.

yes nice write up

I'm at the stage of removing the injection pump gear, when i put a socket on the nut and try to rotate it, it rotates the whole gear!! The flywheel is locked on #1 but yet the injection pump gear is rotating and when i let go of the ratchet it spring returns back. My question is how and why is this gear turning when the flywheel is locked? This should be a solid gear mesh or is there something i'm missing? I've removed lots of injection pump before but this is the first on this type of engine. Thanks for any tips or advise

Do you still have the pump flange bolts tightened down?

/ New Holland T6030 Diesel Injection Pump Removal #14  
Yes I did at that point. I have since removed the injection pump and have sent it away to be tested. The way I see it is in order to check the gears I will have to split the engine off the tranny. This injection pump was very noisy and has no power and erratic blue smoke at any RPM off of idle. I will check the status of the pump before I go any farther. I'm still confused as to why I could rotate the gear train and have it spring return back, it's almost like they have some kind of mechanical advance system in the gear train. I've never heard of that before but like I said have never worked on an engine like this either.

/ New Holland T6030 Diesel Injection Pump Removal #15  
Yes I did at that point. I have since removed the injection pump and have sent it away to be tested. The way I see it is in order to check the gears I will have to split the engine off the tranny. This injection pump was very noisy and has no power and erratic blue smoke at any RPM off of idle. I will check the status of the pump before I go any farther. I'm still confused as to why I could rotate the gear train and have it spring return back, it's almost like they have some kind of mechanical advance system in the gear train. I've never heard of that before but like I said have never worked on an engine like this either.

You have me puzzled. What tractor was this on? It was a Bosch VE pump correct?

/ New Holland T6030 Diesel Injection Pump Removal #16  
It's on a NH T6050 with Iveco 6.7L engine. Not sure which injection pump it is. They called today an said there is nothing wrong with the injection pump. So I will reinstall it and see if it's any different. Looks to me like I will be splitting it to check this gear issue.

/ New Holland T6030 Diesel Injection Pump Removal #17  
You either have the mechanical VE or the electronic common rail CP3.

/ New Holland T6030 Diesel Injection Pump Removal #19  
Before you split the tractor, you might check for air leaks. The tank sending unit is made of plastic and cracks easily. I was able to hear the last one "hissing" as it leaked down through the fuller cap. A funnel flipped upside down over the filler neck works as a good stethoscope to better listen.

/ New Holland T6030 Diesel Injection Pump Removal #20  
050 with Iveco 6.7L engine. Not sure which injection pump it is. They called today an said there is nothing wrong with the injection pump. So I will reinstall it and see if it's any different. Looks to me like I will be splitting it to check this gear issue.

View attachment 455093

You'll either want to use the inspection cover as a template to make a pusher tool, or best yet, buy this tool from Snap-On, Amazon, EBay, etc. Snap-on Store which bolts onto the timing gear and pushes the pump shaft out of the gear as you tighten.

I am going to be removing one of these from a TS115A this weekend. Thank you for posting this.