Never plant Bradford Pear

/ Never plant Bradford Pear #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
Bradford Pear are really pretty in springtime, all the white blossoms, except after maybe 20 years cut them down & start over.
Years ago I lined our driveway with them, but this afternoon some wind gusts (40-50 mph?) another tree-sized limb down. We just noticed it so cut 8ft lengths I'll haul off tomorrow. Some missing ones snapped off at the base years ago...so good advice especially for young people.
They're fast growing, pretty & brittle.
20220705_192505.jpg
20220705_192437.jpg
20220705_192416.jpg

/ Never plant Bradford Pear #2  
IN NC, there's a bounty on the BP trees. They escape into the wild. They stink in the Spring bloom. Don't plant them is good advice.

/ Never plant Bradford Pear #4  
Here is article on where Bradford and Callery Pear trees are banned ( OH, PA, SC ) or being culled ( NC ) because they are invasive non native plants.

Appreciate your bringing this issue to people's attention

/ Never plant Bradford Pear #5  
They WILL break at some point. Got to work to plant them then work harder to get rid of them. The speed at which they grow and their blossoms must be the attraction but don't be lured in.

/ Never plant Bradford Pear #6  
Here in Master Gardener world, we call the Badford Pear.

/ Never plant Bradford Pear #7  
This story growing legs was a long time coming. Local Habitat for Humanity chapter was warning about BP 15 or 20 years ago.

/ Never plant Bradford Pear #8  
Cousin is the Cleveland Pear. Bright white puffball in the Spring due to the blossoms and leaves turn bright yellows, oranges and reds in the Fall. Much tougher than the Bradford, far less brittle and prone to wind damage. But they have wicked nasty thorns. 'You'll put your eye out with those things!!'

/ Never plant Bradford Pear #9  
Here is article on where Bradford and Callery Pear trees are banned ( OH, PA, SC ) or being culled ( NC ) because they are invasive non native plants.

Appreciate your bringing this issue to people's attention

I have a bunch of the Callery Pears on my place that were not planted there. They seem to propagate better than cedar trees. They are all up and down the fence row and in the woods out behind the house. The thorns are horrendous. Don't even attempt to bush hog them down, even small ones will take out tires.

/ Never plant Bradford Pear #10  
Yep, we've been thru the mill with the Bradfords. Cost just under $1000 to get the last one removed a year ago!

EDIT: It was the last of 4 or 5 we planted about 45 years ago. They are not supposed to live that long and it was huge!
Was a love hate relationship as it shaded the entire driveway but also coated the entire driveway and anything sitting on with bird poop. Also, Bradford Pears refuse to admit its Fall and won't drop their leaves till middle of winter if at all. (After you are done messing with leaves for the season :)

Last edited: