Need to buy a new tractor as fencing contractor

/ Need to buy a new tractor as fencing contractor #1  

d36_

Tractor
None yet
Hi
Can anyone offer advice on the minimum tractor size to run a post rammer regularly in hilly country?
My current thinking is that I need to find something around 75 hp and 3000 kg or 6600 lbs

But could I get away with a large compact?

Lets say a 60hp cab tractor might come in around 2400kg or 5300 lbs
Rammer is approx 600kg or 1300 lbs weight on the back
I know I would be under the rear lift capacity but how likely am I tip the tractor when trying to go up a 30-40% incline?

/ Need to buy a new tractor as fencing contractor #2  
Hi
Can anyone offer advice on the minimum tractor size to run a post rammer regularly in hilly country?
My current thinking is that I need to find something around 75 hp and 3000 kg or 6600 lbs

But could I get away with a large compact?

Rammer is approx 600kg or 1300 lbs weight on the back
I know I would be under the rear lift capacity but how likely am I tip the tractor when trying to go up a 30-40% incline?
A 30-40% incline is VERY steep. I’d be looking for a heavy tractor with lower height wheel/tire combo and not a lighter weight tractor.
I wonder if you’d be better off in a compact track loader (CTL) with a front mounted post ponder?

/ Need to buy a new tractor as fencing contractor
A 30-40% incline is VERY steep. I’d be looking for a heavy tractor with lower height wheel/tire combo and not a lighter weight tractor.
I wonder if you’d be better off in a compact track loader (CTL) with a front mounted post ponder?
Theres pros and cons to each setup but skid steer etc generally needs 2 people to be efficient
Currently company I work for has a posi-track but I plan to go off on my own and work solo

Also have a smallish farm so tractor will be handy

/ Need to buy a new tractor as fencing contractor #5  
DD I like that tracked machine, then buy a farm tractor for the farm needs.
Would be a PITA switching out a post pounder to baler anyway.

/ Need to buy a new tractor as fencing contractor #6  
My answer to the question is yes, you could. Getting in/out of a cab every 20 feet or so doesnt add much fun to the day though.

/ Need to buy a new tractor as fencing contractor #7  
That setup looks like a fencers dream. I rent a trailer mounted driver from the local soil conservation people when I need one and that is pretty sweet too although it doesnt have jennies for the wire. 2 of us can complete a 5-6 acre fence in a weekend with it.

/ Need to buy a new tractor as fencing contractor #8  
35-40 % slopes with a 4x5, no thanks. Helped a guy last fall and his one field was about 20-25 and most of the rounds I dropped rolled to the bottom, but the trailer was at the top :rolleyes:

/ Need to buy a new tractor as fencing contractor #9  
35-40 % slopes with a 4x5, no thanks. Helped a guy last fall and his one field was about 20-25 and most of the rounds I dropped rolled to the bottom, but the trailer was at the top :rolleyes:
I was under the impression the fencing work is steers, but the farming work was not.

I went to large square bales almost purely for the hills, too

/ Need to buy a new tractor as fencing contractor #10  
The primary factor affecting stability on hills is rear wheel/tire spread. Some models have readily adjustable wheel/tires spreads, some require after-market wheel spacers.

Secondary is tractor ground clearance.

Third is tractor ballast, liquid in the rear tires rather than air, the most common rear tire fill.

This much tractor should be ample for your needs:

This is a high volume segment, very competitive in price for both tractors and implements.

You may need a front winch to access your work site.

Last edited: