Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #141  
Wow, hard to believe that the 8.1 and allison could add 500 lbs. what size fuel tank(s) do you have? Mine only has a 26 and might have been half empty when i drove across the stone yard scale.

Anyway, without rereading the thread, why is 2400lbs payload so terrible? As long as everything is rust free underneath, you could probably drive around with 2500 lbs in the bed all day long.

The 8.1 is a nice motor but sure thirsty though. My 6.0l can eke out full summer tanks of 14-15mpg in relaxed local cruising if i try to coast as much as possible.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #142  
Well I got my bad news today. Bare truck is 6760 lbs with a full tank of gas. The 8.1 plus the Allison transmission is a heavy combination. The 9200 GVWR leaves me only 2440 of payload. The truck drives really nice I have to say. 9 mpg around town. I have not had it out on the highway for any length of time yet.
It amazes me, just how much these trucks weigh. My F150 Supercab 6.5 bed, aluminum body, scales at 5500 lbs with 3/4s of a tank of gas and two spare tires minus a driver. So only 1200 lbs less that your 3/4 ton with a big block. But...overall fuel mileage hand calculated over nearly 70,000 miles is 20.9 mpg. Heck, my Dodge/Cummins dually scales at only 8250 lbs.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #143  
Wow, hard to believe that the 8.1 and allison could add 500 lbs. what size fuel tank(s) do you have? Mine only has a 26 and might have been half empty when i drove across the stone yard scale.

Anyway, without rereading the thread, why is 2400lbs payload so terrible? As long as everything is rust free underneath, you could probably drive around with 2500 lbs in the bed all day long.

The 8.1 is a nice motor but sure thirsty though. My 6.0l can eke out full summer tanks of 14-15mpg in relaxed local cruising if i try to coast as much as possible.
I have the 26 gallon tank as far as I can tell. When it nears empty on the gauge it takes around 22 gallons. My hopes were to put a 2873 lb camper on it. I was not in the truck at the time it was weighed, so it actually would be more like a 2200 payload.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #144  
Ahh gotcha. Sounds like you need a late-model dually then, eh.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #145  
I would put the camper on it and go do your thing.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #146  
I had that same service brake system or service 4wd system warning before and nothing was wrong with either one, it was the battery. The circuit for that system may detect a low voltage and throw that warning message. It will also shut down everything and won't start if it detects low voltage as a precaution, so it doesn't drain it completely dead. Unhooking and reconnecting the positive battery terminal will reset it and it will start but the battery will eventually need replaced.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #147  
I had that same service brake system or service 4wd system warning before and nothing was wrong with either one, it was the battery. The circuit for that system may detect a low voltage and throw that warning message. It will also shut down everything and won't start if it detects low voltage as a precaution, so it doesn't drain it completely dead. Unhooking and reconnecting the positive battery terminal will reset it and it will start but the battery will eventually need replaced.
Good to know, thank you.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #148  
Auto MFG should look at forums as this , and learn .

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #149  
I would put the camper on it and go do your thing.
2873 lbs is the dry weight of the camper, 433 lbs over GVWR to start. Loaded up with propane, food, dogs, water, me, the wife..... I figure around 1200 lbs +/- min. over GVWR. More than my tolerance from a liability standpoint if there were an accident.

Going to pass on the camper and go the trailer route.