Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #121  
Anyone know where I can get an accurate payload rating on my 2003 GMC 2500HD extended cab with the 8.1 engine? The various Edmunds, Autobytel etc. sites are all over the map. I could not find it on GMC's site, only the owner's manual which does not list the matrix. I am looking at potentially putting an Arctic Fox 811 camper on it (Dry Weight: 2873).

Last edited:
   / Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #122  
Had a 99 3 door 2500 extended cab 4wd. No problems for 12 years then blew a head gasket. She did like her fuel. Got 16 mpg highway empty, 8-9 towing, but I drive fast & only slow down when the bird-dog barks for radar. 2011 duramax in same configuration (but 4 door extended cab) did better towing (12-13 mpg), about the same for general MPG. Parts availability started becoming an issue ... took a year+ to get an ABS controller. 2022 dually Duramax crew cab 4wd seems to use more fuel, but still being broke in.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #123  
Anyone know where I can get an accurate payload rating on my 2003 GMC 2500HD extended cab with the 8.1 engine? The various Edmunds, Autobytel etc. sites are all over the map. I could not find it on GMC's site, only the owner's manual which does not list the matrix. I am looking at potentially putting an Arctic Fox 811 camper on it (Dry Weight: 2873).
Easiest and most accurate way to determine that is by the GVWR and empty weight. GVWR is right on the door jamb. Run the truck over a CAT scale (see if you can get a total weight and each axle weight) and subtract. If I was guessing, I think you'd be overweight or very close dry. Add some gear, fuel, water, etc. and you'll be very overweight. If I remember correctly, my 2012 (2500HD, extended cab, 4x4 shortbed) was 7100 lbs empty and had a 9000lb GVWR. 1900lb payload. But your truck might be both lighter and/or have a higher GVWR.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #124  

There’s no standard for empty weight. The max weight or GVW ( probably a few pounds short of 10k ) should be listed in the door. You’ll have to weigh the truck and subtract the difference.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #125  
Not my favorite front end design but a 6.0 is as reliable as it gets.
I hear people say that all the time about GM's independent front suspension. Why is that? Or is it an urban myth that people just regurgitate? In my experience, the GM's offer the smoothest ride of any truck and seem to be no more prone to front end issues then Ford or Ram. Ram's seem to have the worst front ends, and friends I know that run fleets say Fords require considerable repairs when used on unimproved roads.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #126  
I hear people say that all the time about GM's independent front suspension. Why is that? Or is it an urban myth that people just regurgitate? In my experience, the GM's offer the smoothest ride of any truck and seem to be no more prone to front end issues then Ford or Ram. Ram's seem to have the worst front ends, and friends I know that run fleets say Fords require considerable repairs when used on unimproved roads.

I had to look back on my original post to see what I meant at the time. I was referring to the grill of the truck not the axel. I like the IFS suspension. it definitely rides better than a Ford. Ford was over a decade behind GM going to coil springs and the leafs seriously compromised turning radius.

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #127  
There’s no standard for empty weight. The max weight or GVW ( probably a few pounds short of 10k ) should be listed in the door. You’ll have to weigh the truck and subtract the difference.
Owners have not found the title yet, it is not in my name so I can't put it on the road to get to a scale. If I were to buy a new 2500HD spec payload is listed on the confuguration guide. I can't imagine it wasn't in 2003. It was from Ford when I bought my F250.
2E2FE5FC-B55E-428A-A681-DD2519F21F68.jpeg

003AEA66-15A4-4E58-A836-D8774FE8DDCB.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #128  
My "free" 2003 2500HD was in need of some deep cleaning (white specks are moldy mouse droppings). Carpet cleaned up better than expected. So far I have not seen evidence of rodents in the HVAC, nothing in the blower cage, nothing in the vent to the center console but I have not got everything apart vet. I think they were coming in the vents at the back of the cab. Smells a lot better now.
interior before.jpg
interior after 1.jpg
interior after 2.jpg

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #129  
Cleaned up nice!

Curious what the door sticker has for a your GVWR. can you take a picture of it?

/ Need opinions 2016 Chevrolet 2500HD #130  
Cleaned up nice!

Curious what the door sticker has for a your GVWR. can you take a picture of it?
You were right about needing to check the door sticker, I now have no hopes the 2500HD will carry my camper without being over scale. Too bad since it has F series tires with steel wheels and air shocks
DDB7B2F2-1E9F-4283-B78F-3E25789DBAFE.jpeg

2A8F2920-3009-40D7-81FE-2B3A6E1E521A.jpeg

Last edited: