Need advice New Holland TC55da

/ Need advice New Holland TC55da #1  

melmark

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 20
Hello guys,

My 96 year old dads tractor wont start. He called me and told me the battery is dead. It was an original battery and tested bad so I replaced it with a new one of the same size. The new battery is fully charged and when I go to start the tractor it turns over well but doesn't start and eventually drains the battery then I have to recharge it. I asked him how to enable the glow plugs before starting but he couldn't remember and can't find the manual. On my Boomer 20 i turn the key half way and a glowplug light comes on in the dash and when it goes out I am good to start. Can someone with a TC55 tell me if that is the procedure to start it using the glowplugs? I do not see any glowplug indicator on the dash when I turn his key part way?

Thanks in advance

Mark

/ Need advice New Holland TC55da #2  
I have no idea, but in the hopes of getting others to see this and possibly reply, maybe the key turns counterclockwise for glow plugs, then clockwise to start???

Are you sure a safety like your seat switch are not allowing power to the fuel shutoff solenoid? An option would be to supply auxiliary power to the fuel solenoid (bypassing the safeties), make sure it's not in gear and see if when it cranks if it will start.

Last edited:
   / Need advice New Holland TC55da #3  
The button on the left side of the dash is for the thermostart manifold heater. Push it in when you are cranking, not before.
BUT, it sounds like something else is going on. Does it smoke at all when you try to start? Do you have the throttle open all the way?

/ Need advice New Holland TC55da
Thanks for the replies, heres the background. He only starts the tractor maybe twice a year. He really doesn't use it at all but wants to hang onto it. He goes out to his barn occasionally and tries to start it but does not remember how to "light" the glowplugs before starting so he just cranks on it till it dies. This winter it sat there with a dead battery and apparently riuned it. I took it to NAPA and they tested it and said it was bad. They pro-rated a new battery for him and I am going to reinstall it tomorrow as well as a solar trickle charger that I picked up to keep the battery topped up. The tractor only has 50 hours on it and is really like new. My dad lives by himself and is doing ok but his memory is starting to slip.

/ Need advice New Holland TC55da #5  
Thanks for the update, that helps to better understand the situation. Its nice that you are there to help your dad.

/ Need advice New Holland TC55da #6  
You're a good son! Enjoy the time you have with your dad.
Glad we could help.

/ Need advice New Holland TC55da #7  
@melmark - I'm pretty sure (& I could be completely wrong) the NH TC55DA has a similar Glow Plug function as the other TC series & the glow plugs are activated by the ignition key prior to start up. When the key is turned to the RUN position (Not the Start / Crank position) the dash lights should come on, including the Glow Plug indicator light. If you leave the key in that position the Glow Plug Indicator Light should then go out in like 5 to 8 seconds on a deluxe machine; then you can turn the key to the Start / Crank position to start the tractor. If your not seeing a Glow Plug Indicator Light then there is a different issue.

Again I could be incorrect on this but that is how it works on the TC40D we own & a friend of ours TC55DA (I called him to double check; his is a 2006)

Hope this helps... & good looking out for your Dad...

/ Need advice New Holland TC55da #8  
@melmark - I'm pretty sure (& I could be completely wrong) the NH TC55DA has a similar Glow Plug function as the other TC series & the glow plugs are activated by the ignition key prior to start up. When the key is turned to the RUN position (Not the Start / Crank position) the dash lights should come on, including the Glow Plug indicator light. If you leave the key in that position the Glow Plug Indicator Light should then go out in like 5 to 8 seconds on a deluxe machine; then you can turn the key to the Start / Crank position to start the tractor. If your not seeing a Glow Plug Indicator Light then there is a different issue.

Again I could be incorrect on this but that is how it works on the TC40D we own & a friend of ours TC55DA (I called him to double check; his is a 2006)

Oh gosh, you are correct. I have been under the weather and was thinking of a TN, not TC!

/ Need advice New Holland TC55da #9  

That's the way my tc33da works as well

/ Need advice New Holland TC55da #10  
If none of these suggestions work maybe check the fuel. If he leaves it out for months in hot weather with half a tank of fuel it is amazing how fast things can go bad esp if it is really humid.