My New To Me 8n

/ My New To Me 8n #1  

DB1200

Tractor
David Brown 1200
Hello all. Last Sunday I have been keeping my eyes open for an 8n. My wife spotted one on marketplace and went and looked and brought it home. Got it to what I think was a steal for a running and functioning 8n. Haven't really had a chance to play with it until today. I used it to scrape the driveway, did a fantastic job. Used it to move some equipment around that I have been wanting to move and hooked up bushhog and mowed some with with it. I really like this little tractor. One question, I tried to hook up my NH 451 sickle mower to it but the pto was to long to hook up to pto overrun clutch. Is there anything I can do besides take the over run off to run it?
IMG_20221119_161410690.jpg
IMG_20221119_161421896.jpg

/ My New To Me 8n #2  
Congrats on the find (y) they are working mule.

/ My New To Me 8n #3  
Congrats (y) on the new to you tractor, I have ALWAYS like the little N's and if I had room would have another. As for the PTO cut the shaft, a little off of each end to get the length you need. At least a 6" overlap at its shortest length. The ORC is not needed for a sickle mower like it is for a rotary cutter, personally I prefer to not having to take them off unless they are defective.

/ My New To Me 8n #4  
Congratulations on your fine decision. I bought one 30 years ago and just now have to do some engine work. My wife helped me with ours, I had found several but they just didn’t feel right. The 1949 model we have she encouraged me to buy, she was right on. Up until recently it was a hard working unit. Original 6V system and lots of attachments.

/ My New To Me 8n
Thanks! I hope to get some good use out of this one on our small farm. Raking hay and brushhoging and other odds and ends. Who knows might hook it to the square baler in a weak field and bale some hay with it. I did install a new drawbar on the back over Christmas break. It had nothing and I really wanted to pull trailers and an old pull behind mower with it.
IMG_20221231_182035170.jpg

/ My New To Me 8n #6  
A big advantage for the N series is that parts are to be had from large chain stores, auto supply chains and online too. I went to TSC for a muffler. I believe that the N series is the tractor with the most # manufactured.

/ My New To Me 8n #7  
You can do lots of things with an "N" tractor, but one of the things you might want to rethink is a hay baler. It can be done with an "N" but it will be LOTS of work because of the ground speed and non live PTO.

/ My New To Me 8n #8  
You can cut the PTO shaft down on the sickle. Lots of videos or write-ups if you google it on just how to do it.

Taking of the ORC probably wont work. Even though the sickle dont really need the ORC cause there isnt a high inertial load, the PTO of the N-series tractors were 1-1/8" and todays standard is 1-3/8". So that ORC is likely also serving as an adapter.

/ My New To Me 8n #10  
The ORC is a must have safety feature, use it, I know from experience. I recommend the N-News Magazine for all N users.
Its a must have for something with a high inertial load....like a bushhog, or a flail mower, or a hay bailer. For a sickle bar mower.....there is no issues without