My better half has been offered a job!

/ My better half has been offered a job!
Thanks All, she starts Friday on a 12 hour shift. She's working weekend days to start 36 hrs. = full time. She's going to have to work Christmas and New Years this year but it's double time! Sorry baby Jesus...

Kevin

/ My better half has been offered a job! #23  
That weekend shift is a great shift.

/ My better half has been offered a job! #24  
Thanks All, she starts Friday on a 12 hour shift. She's working weekend days to start 36 hrs. = full time. She's going to have to work Christmas and New Years this year but it's double time! Sorry baby Jesus...

Kevin
i worked in a union shop. a buddy and i decided to see who could work the most days in a row, unlimited overtime. we got to 340 days in a row, or something close.

we got time and a half for anything over 40 hours and saturday, double time on sundays and....triple time on holidays.

i did work 2 or 3 holidays in that stretch. also paid my student loans in less than 1 year!

/ My better half has been offered a job! #25  
Last edited:
   / My better half has been offered a job! #26  
Best of luck to you and your wife, she has my utmost respect for staying the course and seeing her dream through.

/ My better half has been offered a job! #27  
Hey all,

I've been the sole breadwinner in my household since I was about 25 years old and I'm 57 now. Prior to that I had roommates. My wife came to the US in 2007 and did work at an entry level job for about 2 1/2 years before our son was born almost 10 years ago. That income was so small I almost don't count it. A few years ago she started taking classes at a community college and managed to get her LPN license about a month ago. The demand for nurses seems to be incredible right now and her timing entering the workforce seems about perfect as far as earning potential is concerned. She applied at two facilities and both wanted to hire her immediately. She's in the process of accepting a job at the facility that made the best offer.

I know it will add stress to the household and I hope we're ready for it. On the upside, we've managed to survive on one income for years and even put some money away monthly. We have zero debt and we're really looking forward to increasing our savings. With our household income basically doubling I don't even know what to expect. On top of the added income I will no longer have to pay about $800 per month for my wife and son's health insurance. She will be covered by her new employer and his insurance will be significantly less through them also.

I have to say, we're pretty danged excited!
Kevin

Good for you and your wife, Kevin! Similar story with my daughter. Just graduated with her (Hons.) BSc In Nursing, and wrote (and passed) her NCLEX just last week. Had multiple interviews right away, and every one of them resulted in a job offer. She finally picked her top choice, and she starts Thursday at North York General Hospital !

Major life change for the kid. She is already talking about investing in real estate! A girl after my own heart.

Proud Dad.

/ My better half has been offered a job!
congratulations

i'm assuming that she is double - vaxxed, or the job won't last long ... just saying

cheers,

scaredychicken

Actually she just received a $750 bonus for being fully vaccinated!

/ My better half has been offered a job! #29  
A nice touch on the bonus....

Here we are told several times a week enterprise wide how valued we are but zero tolerance on vaccination and have lost wonderful nurses over it...

/ My better half has been offered a job! #30  
Here we are told several times a week enterprise wide how valued we are but zero tolerance on vaccination and have lost wonderful nurses over it...

So shortsighted of management to treat any employees that way, let alone scarce and highly paid ones. I bet upper management gets plenty of leeway on their vacation.