mulching leaves with Gator blades on the Bradley mower, open vs closed chute vs bagging

/ mulching leaves with Gator blades on the Bradley mower, open vs closed chute vs bagging #1  

GeneV

Elite Member
Tractor
Bradley 48" stander MF GC1710
My 1st full year with the Bradley, played around with various ways to get them leaves off the lawn.

/ mulching leaves with Gator blades on the Bradley mower, open vs closed chute vs bagging #2  
Been operating a Dixie Chopper with ocdc for 20 yrs .. I windrow the leaves with the ocdc open, then close it and mulch over a time or so . Then BACK over them .. surprisingly backing over them mulches the best.. then open the ocdc and blow the fine leaf mulch out..
No raking or dumping bags . Clean yard

If you had a chute you could close from your operating point on mower, you'd really be onto something

Last edited:
   / mulching leaves with Gator blades on the Bradley mower, open vs closed chute vs bagging
MF, yeh I did notice it mulches better going backwards. I think the physics behind it mulching better in reverse is coz you're then having the leaves get chopped up twice over.

/ mulching leaves with Gator blades on the Bradley mower, open vs closed chute vs bagging #4  
Must be deck specific. My mower with Gator blades (with or without a discharge chute cover) does not work well at all going backwards.
I generally mulch throwing leaves into a windrow, then run over the windrow with the discharge gate closed. I usually go over that strip again to spread it all out.

/ mulching leaves with Gator blades on the Bradley mower, open vs closed chute vs bagging #5  
I just use mulching blades from JD and a mulching plug with my mower. I wait till the leaves and ground is bone dry. It works really good and it’s good for the soil, never noticed a difference go backwards. Whatever is left blows around all winter then I mulch again in the Spring.

/ mulching leaves with Gator blades on the Bradley mower, open vs closed chute vs bagging
I just use mulching blades from JD and a mulching plug with my mower. I wait till the leaves and ground is bone dry. It works really good and it’s good for the soil, never noticed a difference go backwards. Whatever is left blows around all winter then I mulch again in the Spring.
Yup, it's good for the soil and the grass. I also generally just mulch it into the lawn. But I have noticed if there's too much of it, it will smother the grass.