Ms 500i

/ Ms 500i #1  

m1garand762

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota
I am considering getting a 500i I cut lots of firewood every year and am looking for input. Does anyone have an opinion on this saw

/ Ms 500i #2  
I am considering getting a 500i I cut lots of firewood every year and am looking for input. Does anyone have an opinion on this saw
I'm nearly done with my last year of wood cutting. I burned 10-15 cord per year (20 years) to smoke up the area with my outdoor stove. If I was a little younger with a few years left. I'd buy one. Plenty of mixed reviews on here for that saw.

/ Ms 500i #3  
Much prefer a carbed version and you will almost certainly have to mod the muff to get it to run right. New Stihl's are really chocked down stock. In fact, most new saws are. If it was me, i'd buy just the powerhead and put a Carleton roller nose greaseable bar on it. Stihl's no longer come with a greaseable roller nose, why, Why, I don't know.

/ Ms 500i #4  
Stihl's no longer come with a greaseable roller nose, why, Why, I don't know.
Because you are suppose to grease the bar at every use or don't grease it at all. The grease mixed with debris forms a makeshift seal around the bearing. Occasional greasing breaks that seal which allows contaminated grease from the makeshift seal to get into the bearing leading to premature bearing failure. So they eliminated the grease hole and have the bearing packed with factory grease which works to seal itself.

/ Ms 500i #5  
Never had a roller nose failure with any Carleton bar and the nose is replaceable as well. I only use very high quality (as in 30 bucks a tube) EP grease.

/ Ms 500i #6  
I have no experience with a saw that big but it seems like to much saw for fire wood cutting. I‘d say if cut down some big trees it might be the saw to have, say 30” and larger.

/ Ms 500i #7  
"firewood" can mean a lot of things. For some it includes 4' diameter oaks. For others its 10" pines. The 500 is more on the 4' oak end of things. A lot of people including loggers have had good results with them and the FI systems seems pretty trouble free.

/ Ms 500i #8  
^^^^
Yep. I’m not a logger and the MS500i will be my next saw. I prefer the lighter professional saws when compared to the standard variety. Less fatigue and more work in the same timeframe.

Mike

/ Ms 500i #9  
Of yoo want a big saw, I'll sell you either my 075 or my 090 Stihl for the right price of course. Both will pull a 4-5 foot bar with 404 square tooth skip tooth chipper chain

/ Ms 500i #10  
I've been cutting for decades. Even had a tree service. Never greased my bars. I just turn the oiler all the way to max on every new saw and run it. I've never had a sprocket bearing failure.