Mrs.tiller broke her back

/ Mrs.tiller broke her back #1  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
Mrs.tiller was rearranging pics on the wall Wednesday when she fell from the second rung of a 3-step platform ladder. She fell straight back landing on her back in the doorway between the living room and bedroom. The pain was so bad she couldn't move. The phone was just around the corner on the desk but it might as well been on the moon.

She laid there until I got home 30 minutes later. I called 911 and we waited 25 minutes for the county ambulance to arrive. That was a rough 25 minutes for both of us. It was painful getting the sled under her so they could lift her onto the gurney. I'm glad those things come it 2 pieces and snap together.

She has what is called a bursting break, of L1 vertebra. It was badly shattered all the way around so they removed all the pieces and replaced it with a donor vertebra and screwed and wired everything together from T10 down to L3. That's 5 vertebra fused together. And she has a large bruise on her tail bone that they are concerned it doesn't develop into a bed sore.

It's been 5 days now and she is still it the hospital and she will be going to a Skilled Care facility latter this week.

It's good thing I like hospital food and reading.

/ Mrs.tiller broke her back #2  
Added to my prayers. I hope for a speedy recovery.

/ Mrs.tiller broke her back #3  
I am truly sorry for Mrs. Tiller's broken back. I do hope all turns out well.

/ Mrs.tiller broke her back #4  
Oh no! Prayers for her recovery. I'm beginning to hate ladders. Lost my grandfather that way. Wife lost her dad on a badly set up scaffolding. Had a couple near accidents myself on roof maintenance chores.

/ Mrs.tiller broke her back #6  
Praying for a quick healing process.

/ Mrs.tiller broke her back #7  
Sure hope she heals well and quickly.

/ Mrs.tiller broke her back #8  
Prayers she makes a speedy recovery and also for you through this!

/ Mrs.tiller broke her back #9  
Glad she's on the mend already. Make sure she sticks with her physical therapy. That makes all the difference in recovery. :thumbsup:

/ Mrs.tiller broke her back #10  
I'm sorry to hear about this. It's amazing how a relatively short fall can do so much damage. The device you saw them use is known as a 'scoop stretcher' for obvious reasons. They are incredibly useful for getting folks onto an immobilization device if pelvic, hip, or spinal injury is suspected and log-rolling is not feasible. I am not even 40 years old yet (former EMT), but my wife has laid out ground rules that nobody is allowed on ANY ladders or allowed to use the chainsaw without a 2nd person being present (spouse or our teenage son). As you have learned, when immobilized due to injury, it doesn't matter how close the nearest phone is if you can't move to it. Prayers for a speedy and thorough recovery.

Scoop stretcher - Wikipedia