Moving 26' 5th wheel camper with a loader/backhoe

/ Moving 26' 5th wheel camper with a loader/backhoe #1  

Darryl N

Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST loader/backhoe
I think pin weight is less than 1600. Bucket lift spec is 1800. I dont' want to buy a stupid adapter. I'm thinking I will wrap a 3/8 chain tight around the pin and box, then tie that to the bucket with a 30k web strap. Tires are liquid filled and the backhoe is 1200 including subframe. New Kioti CK2610. Backing it into a garage, no more than 100', smooth flat ground.

Anybody done this? Pics?

/ Moving 26' 5th wheel camper with a loader/backhoe #2  
I just mounted a ball on top of bucket

Attachments

• 0327111410.jpg
    0327111410.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 310

/ Moving 26' 5th wheel camper with a loader/backhoe #3  
I think pin weight is less than 1600. Bucket lift spec is 1800. I dont' want to buy a stupid adapter. I'm thinking I will wrap a 3/8 chain tight around the pin and box, then tie that to the bucket with a 30k web strap. Tires are liquid filled and the backhoe is 1200 including subframe. New Kioti CK2610. Backing it into a garage, no more than 100', smooth flat ground.

Anybody done this? Pics?
Not sure that's going to work out great with your size machine. You'll need to lift, and push, so pin weight is only part of what you need to overcome. At least if it's on flat ground, I don't think you'll be in serious danger of hurting anything, I'd be extremely cautious around hills.

I lift and move my goosenecks all the time with my machine, just using chain, but my machine is a fair amount heavier, and the goosenecks don't weigh more than 5k empty.

You might be able to rig up a hitch using a piece of wood or two, hole saw, then strap that down to the top of your loader bucket. Or set the wood inside your bucket if you have the depth to clear the hitch. You don't need to strap the camper to keep it from lifting, only enough to prevent side to side and forward to back motion, which a piece of wood with a hole would do if fastened well enough.

But if it were mine, I'd move it with a truck.

If you do try it though, go slow, don't lift the jacks very much off the ground, and be sure to update us on how it goes.

/ Moving 26' 5th wheel camper with a loader/backhoe #4  
My tractor lifts 2700#, on yours, id try lifting the trailer up with bucket to make sure it can even lift it before you make anything.

on mine i added a welded on 1/4” plate so i can add some stronger hook points for chain attachments, then i drilled a 1” hole and added a 2-5/16 ball. I can move my 30 foot horse trailer very easily and maneuver it into shed.
the shed is only 5” wider than trailer, so have to be precise.

/ Moving 26' 5th wheel camper with a loader/backhoe
I looked up the trailer weights: dry 7235, payload 2565, hitch 1310 max. Cargo is only about 1000 lb, so figure 8500 lb gross.

Tractor is 5900 lb with everything attached and rear tires filled.

Last edited:
   / Moving 26' 5th wheel camper with a loader/backhoe #6  
My tractor lifts 2700#, on yours, id try lifting the trailer up with bucket to make sure it can even lift it before you make anything.

on mine i added a welded on 1/4” plate so i can add some stronger hook points for chain attachments, then i drilled a 1” hole and added a 2-5/16 ball. I can move my 30 foot horse trailer very easily and maneuver it into shed.
the shed is only 5” wider than trailer, so have to be precise.
He has a 5th wheel though, not a GN, they connect differently. It's not quite as simple for something permanent. The advice to try lifting it first is good. Should be able to use the top lip of the bucket to lift on the plate, then push on the kingpin.

/ Moving 26' 5th wheel camper with a loader/backhoe #7  
Ahh, ive never owned a 5th wheel….only goosenecks. Have no idea how those work

/ Moving 26' 5th wheel camper with a loader/backhoe #8  
5th wheel trailers use a "kingpin" similar to a semi trailer. You may be able to fabricate a mount for the top of your loader bucket using a piece of flat steel with a piece of pipe welded to it as a socket for the "kingpin" to set in.

/ Moving 26' 5th wheel camper with a loader/backhoe #9  
Backing into a garage? I'd move with the truck, mirrors and the regular secure hitch. Only way I'd personally consider moving with TLB would be if the truck wasn't available and the trailer had to be moved asap.

Smaller TLB and 5th wheel I have visions of the loader lifting it ok, start moving it ok but then having the rear end lift and cause an incident resulting in damage to trailer and/or tractor. The trailer will keep rolling whether all the tractor wheels are on the ground or not.

/ Moving 26' 5th wheel camper with a loader/backhoe #10