Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round?

/ Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round? #1  

turnkey4099

Elite Member
The thread on firewood market is interesting, thought I would start one on that subject.

Harry K

/ Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round? #2  
a cord is a cord 4x4x8 a gallon of water or a gallon of ice is still a gallon

/ Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round? #3  
If you take a cord of four foot long round wood and block it up split it and restack it you will not have a cord pile. The split wood packs tighter then the round. Also if you measure carefully you can see that a pile put up green will shrink in volume as it drys. It is only something like 1/32 of an inch on each sticks diameter but it adds up and a stack eight feet high in my cellar will settle by more then two inches as it drys.

/ Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round? #4  
a cord is a cord 4x4x8 a gallon of water or a gallon of ice is still a gallon

Yep but now a 1/2 gallon of ice cream is called just a carton of ice cream…those buggers!

/ Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round? #6  
Yep but now a 1/2 gallon of ice cream is called just a carton of ice cream…those buggers!

1.5 quarts of Ice Cream is a RIP OFF! Dirty Dogs! Grrrrr...

Back on topic though...

I've been thinking of selling bucked logs and is there a way to ROUGHLY estimate how much wood is in a log so I can figure a way to price such an item?

Thanks,
David

/ Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round? #7  
Q; When is a gallon of ice not a gallon? A; When it melts.

/ Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round? #8  
I believe that a single round four feet long and 3.2 feet in radius (unsplit) will provide the most wood in a cord - simply because no one can stack tighter than Mother Nature.

/ Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round? #9  
...is there a way to ROUGHLY estimate how much wood is in a log so I can figure a way to price such an item?

Thanks,
David

There is an iPhone app for that - $3.99.
Or Volume = pi r squared h (can't do arithmetic symbols easily..r=radius and h=height or length)

/ Most wood in a cord: Split or in the round? #10  
There is an iPhone app for that - $3.99.
Or Volume = pi r squared h (can't do arithmetic symbols easily..r=radius and h=height or length)

Mike,

Pie are round, Brownies are square... :D

I don't have an iphone... Just a droid. Does the app use a picture or is it just a calculator?

But I knew the volume formula, I was being dense and forgot I guess...

Thanks,
David