Montana 4340 Repair Manual

/ Montana 4340 Repair Manual #1  

dsmithtexas

Tractor
Montana 4340
Montana 4340 Repair Manual / Fuel Problem

Hi.
New to the forum. Was hoping someone had a PDF of the Service manual for a 4340.
Tractor won't start, not getting fuel to the injectors.
I was able to use the prime pump on the filter housing to gel fuel to come out the air bleeder on the injector pump but fuel won't come out of the injectors when I turn over the engine.
I'm being told by a mechanic that I need to pull the injector pump and have it rebuilt.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
   / Montana 4340 Repair Manual #2  
Re: Montana 4340 Repair Manual / Fuel Problem

I don’t know why this model of Tractor doesn’t have a electric lift pump but it doesn’t and makes bleeding these a PIA.
How many hours on the tractor?
I’ve had to use compressed air and a rag around the filler neck to get fuel to the pump then crank and crack the injector lines to bleed that part of the system! Try that before pulling the injection pump, not saying it couldn’t be the pump but air in the system would be my first guess.

Oh it takes several times of bleeding at the filter housing as well!

/ Montana 4340 Repair Manual
Thanks for the reply. The tractor only has about 125 hrs on it. We tried using air at the filler neck but I think I will give it another try and see what happens.
Can the injector pump go bad just from sitting?
I used it to get my neighbors tractor unstuck and parked it and went out to use it a couple of months later and it wouldn't start.
Thanks again for the info.

/ Montana 4340 Repair Manual #4  

It shouldn’t unless there was water in the diesel. I’d start with a fresh filter and lots of bleeding at the housing, pump and injectors.
I forgot to mention there is a bleeder screw on the side of the injection pump, have you tried cracking that?

Yes I was able to get diesel to come out of the bleeder on the side of the injector when I manually push the pump on top of the filter, but I'm not able to get diesel to come out of the injectors when I turn over the engine. We also replaced the filter. I have my tractor parked under a carport so it was out of the weather so there shouldn't be any water unless condensation built up. There is a water sensor at the bottom of the filter that keeps the tractor from starting if there is water and I unplugged it and checked for continuity and it was open. Tried to start with it unplugged no luck. We pulled the plunger out of the solenoid on the injector that stops fuel flow when you switch the engine off. Still no luck. The engine started for a brief time when you use a gasoline soaked rag over the air filter. Don't want to do that too much just checking too see if it would start. I'm going to replace the fuel line coming from the tank and see if that makes a difference.

/ Montana 4340 Repair Manual #6  

Darn you’ve done all that it’s always taken me to get it going. I really hope it’s not the pump but please keep us updated.

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know what happens.

/ Montana 4340 Repair Manual #8  
What type of oil is best to use in a 4340 Montana?