Mitsubishi MT372 Stopped Pumping Fuel

/ Mitsubishi MT372 Stopped Pumping Fuel #1  

D40

I have one of those old Mitsubishi MT372 tractors and I went to start it one morning and it would not start. I loosened the fuel line nuts going to the injectors and cranked the engine but not a drop of fuel came out. I am thinking maybe the fuel pump died?
Does anyone have any idea how to troubleshoot or repair this item or is it time to sell this thing for scrap metal?

Thanks

/ Mitsubishi MT372 Stopped Pumping Fuel #2  
Start by checking fuel level in tank. Make sure it flows freely by gravity - the filter is a good place to start. You could have crud in the tank. Bleed the fuel system per the manual - if you have one. If the pump is indeed bad it can probably be rebuilt. A local shop was able to rebuild injectors on my old Mitsubishi D2350. I'd go for the simple stuff before scrapping the tractor out. You'll get very little for the metal and likely have to pay for disposal of the fluids.

/ Mitsubishi MT372 Stopped Pumping Fuel
Those are the first things I thought of. I removed the tubing going to the pump and fuel flowed freely from the tank through the filter, so I am pretty sure the issue is with the pump or whatever mechanism drives the pump.
I also thought about just propping up a scarecrow with hat in the seat and sticking the thing out by the road in front of the farm as a novelty for people to stare at as they drive by, sort of a landmark. Also, Just before this died I purchased a new Kubota because the clutch was starting to act up on me so I knew the Mitsubishi was probably on borowed time.

/ Mitsubishi MT372 Stopped Pumping Fuel #4  
Does it have a fuel shut off solenoid or is it manual?

It's Manual, a lever at the top of the filter bowl.

/ Mitsubishi MT372 Stopped Pumping Fuel #6  
It's Manual, a lever at the top of the filter bowl.
Not the physical shut off for the fuel but what shuts the fuel off to stop the engine from running. To shut the engine off, do you have to pull a knob (manual) or do you just turn the key off (solenoid)? If the pump is not pumping, the fuel shut off solenoid could be bad.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. Throttle and shut off are controlled by a large lever to the right that moves forward or back. All the way forward is off.

/ Mitsubishi MT372 Stopped Pumping Fuel #8  
I can rebuild that pump for u..
U can send me a prvt msg thru this site or use my screen name at aol dot com in your home mail service.

At this point I do not have the money for an expensive gamble without knowing for sure it's the pump that failed. First I would need to find out how to remove it. Then I would need to check whatever drives the pump to see if that is working, is it a lever or a shaft that rotates? Then I would need to learn how to bench test the pump to verify if it's working or not. Too bad you are not close by to check all of that. If I knew for sure it's the pump itself I would take you up on that offer.

/ Mitsubishi MT372 Stopped Pumping Fuel #10  
Your engine is the best tester you’ll ever find..
As long as u have fuel to the injection pump INLET, it should pump..
It work off of its own camshaft..& is usually held in place w 4 bolts on the corner of the pump..
If u have fuel GOING IN & nothing coming OUT..
It’s the pump..