MF35 engine cover. Can I lift it off by myself?

/ MF35 engine cover. Can I lift it off by myself? #1  

Chris Wilson

I want to remove the engine cover (hood, bonnet, whatever you want to call it). I am on my own for the moment, am I likely to manage it myself or should I wait until I can find a helper? I was going to remove the front lovered grille panel first, as it looks heavy...

i am removing it as I am intending to change all the coolant hoses. Talking of cooling the radiator fan has what looks like a home made (albeit nicely made) fan shroud extension, riveted on in what looks like aluminium formed sheet, fully enveloping the fan. Is this a common mod?

I am wanting it to run a PTO generator as here in the UK winter power outages are said to be very likely, so I want the cooling system to in be tip top shape.

Has anyone rigged up a low / none existent engine oil pressure kill mechanism, and the same for water over temperature? Engine is the Perkins three pot diesel? Any bright ideas how to do this most welcome. Thanks.

/ MF35 engine cover. Can I lift it off by myself? #2  
I want to remove the engine cover (hood, bonnet, whatever you want to call it). I am on my own for the moment, am I likely to manage it myself or should I wait until I can find a helper? I was going to remove the front lovered grille panel first, as it looks heavy...

i am removing it as I am intending to change all the coolant hoses. Talking of cooling the radiator fan has what looks like a home made (albeit nicely made) fan shroud extension, riveted on in what looks like aluminium formed sheet, fully enveloping the fan. Is this a common mod?

I am wanting it to run a PTO generator as here in the UK winter power outages are said to be very likely, so I want the cooling system to in be tip top shape.

Has anyone rigged up a low / none existent engine oil pressure kill mechanism, and the same for water over temperature? Engine is the Perkins three pot diesel? Any bright ideas how to do this most welcome. Thanks.
That sounds like a interesting project ! But I have no idea on how to do a hook up for temp. , & oil pressure sensors to shut everything down in case of low oil pressure or high engine temps. I'm sure the sensors exist ! But it sounds like you would need to incorporate sum kind of electronic mapping system , & that may require a engineer with those skills :unsure: .

/ MF35 engine cover. Can I lift it off by myself? #3  
Chris
Does that Perkins engine have mechanical or electric shut down today? If mechanical you may have to figure out how to make electric so your temp or oil sensor can shut it down.
I suspect removing the hood by yourself could be challenge do to size and shape more than weight.

/ MF35 engine cover. Can I lift it off by myself? #4  
The hood, grill, etc will come off without too much effort. Once the bolts are all out stand in front, tilt it all back toward you, and lift it off. I've done it many times. It's just tinware, won't include the fuel tank.

Murphy shutdown systems should still be available. Their gauge units and packages will monitor oil pressure, water temp, pretty much whatever you want. They were the standard for safety shutdown systems at one time. Can be set up for diesel, gas or LP engines.

/ MF35 engine cover. Can I lift it off by myself? #5  
I too have removed my hood in the same fashion mentioned by Harry. Not a big deal.

I don't think those fan shroud mods are common. Someone probably did it because something happened to the factory shrouds. These old MF's have fairly adequate cooling systems so I don't think it was an 'enhancement'. If you are really worried about it staying cool, do a flow test on the radiator, or simply pick it up and see if it is excessively heavy (which would mean it is full of 'stuff' that shouldn't be there). A proper radiator should be quite light in weight.

I am not positive, but am fairly sure your tractor has a mechanical fuel shutoff to kill the engine. If so it would take some doings to make an oil pressure kill switch, including an oil pressure sensor, a solenoid on the fuel shut-off, along with an electrical switch so you could manually activate the solenoid to shut down the engine and some fairly simple wiring. All do-able but not what I would classify as easy.