MF. TO 30 Starter

/ MF. TO 30 Starter #1  

tim durham

Tractor
Massey Ferguson TO 30
My MF was converted to 12v years ago. For 20 years no problems.
Recently I have gone through four starters. When I engage the current starter, it worked 3 times and the ๐Ÿ’๐ญ๐ก ๐ญ๐ข๐ฆ๐ž ๐ข๐ญ ๐ฐ๐š๐ฌ ๐๐ž๐š๐.
I think my 12 volt battery is burning something out in the starter.
๐€๐ง๐ฒ ๐ญ๐ก๐จ๐ฎ๐ ๐ก๐ญ๐ฌ ?

/ MF. TO 30 Starter #2  
Battery voltage dropping under load causes a huge increase in amperage draw. Big amperage draw will damage the starter. Maybe this is the problem.

/ MF. TO 30 Starter #3  
at some pt my TO 35 was converted to 12v as well. not sure if it's still done, but had my starter rewound when it began to fail. i'd start w/a good electrical shop/mechanic before you drop on another starter, good luck

/ MF. TO 30 Starter #4  
By all means check in with a starter - generator repair place. They can possible even guide you to a starter intended for twelve volts but the proper physical fit for your tractor. You may need a different ignition coil or ballast resistor as well to reduce point burning.

/ MF. TO 30 Starter #5  
Just wondering - do you keep the battery on a maintainer to make sure the voltage is at it's best, usually above 13. If the battery is weak, it will still turn the starter. but if the voltage is low or drops, the power wattage) REQUIRED to operate the starter is maintained by increasing the current draw. That may be part of the reason, just as scootr mentioned. Also, I am guessing there is no smoke or burning smell when that happens. But a starter repair shop can certianly tell you what has failed. Best Wishes.

/ MF. TO 30 Starter #6  
My MF was converted to 12v years ago. For 20 years no problems.
Recently I have gone through four starters. When I engage the current starter, it worked 3 times and the ๐Ÿ’๐ญ๐ก ๐ญ๐ข๐ฆ๐ž ๐ข๐ญ ๐ฐ๐š๐ฌ ๐๐ž๐š๐.
I think my 12 volt battery is burning something out in the starter.
๐€๐ง๐ฒ ๐ญ๐ก๐จ๐ฎ๐ ๐ก๐ญ๐ฌ ?
When I had a TO-30 that was converted to 12V, it had the original Delco starter in it. I ran it for 10 years that way before it needed to be rebuilt. The rebuilt starter was still starting it 12 years later when I sold it. My point is that converting the electrical system from 6V to 12 V while it doubles the starting current (and torque) won't damage a 6V starter.

When you convert from 6V to 12 V the power output of the starter increases because of the increased voltage drop across the starter. Since the current doubles at 12 volt, the resistance causes more heat to be generated in the starter (I^2 xR) by a factor of 4.

If you have a poor starting engine, the tendency is to grind the starter for a minute or two to start the engine. That's not good for starter life because of the heat generated in the windings. Could this be your problem? Is your engine tuned properly so that it starts easily?

There is no way a starter should only last for 4 starts unless it is being abused by long periods of cranking or is defective.

/ MF. TO 30 Starter #7  
I may be repeating some of what has already been said.
1) Find a good starter repair shop, tell them your issues and they should be able to set you up with a quality starter or rebuild. 2)never crank the starter more than 8 or 10 seconds at a time. Stop and let the starter cool off... particularly if it is a 6 volt starter on a 12 volt system. 3) Tune your engine so it starts easier. 4) install a block heater.

/ MF. TO 30 Starter #8  
When I had a TO-30 that was converted to 12V, it had the original Delco starter in it. I ran it for 10 years that way before it needed to be rebuilt. The rebuilt starter was still starting it 12 years later when I sold it. My point is that converting the electrical system from 6V to 12 V while it doubles the starting current (and torque) won't damage a 6V starter.

When you convert from 6V to 12 V the power output of the starter increases because of the increased voltage drop across the starter. Since the current doubles at 12 volt, the resistance causes more heat to be generated in the starter (I^2 xR) by a factor of 4.

If you have a poor starting engine, the tendency is to grind the starter for a minute or two to start the engine. That's not good for starter life because of the heat generated in the windings. Could this be your problem? Is your engine tuned properly so that it starts easily?

There is no way a starter should only last for 4 starts unless it is being abused by long periods of cranking or is defective.
Hi,
I agree that 6V starter motors work well on 12V and do so for years. VW Beetles pre 1967 in Australia were 6V, and when converted to 12V, the existing 6V starters continued to work. I owned one.
I'd look for issues elsewhere.