MF 40 industrial won't move forward or backward

/ MF 40 industrial won't move forward or backward #1  

SteveCanada

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 40
Hi everyone,
I have an mf40 industrial with loader and backhoe. backhoe at bills.jpg It has instant reverse. 3 cyl perkins gas. Engine and hydraulics work fine. But it will not move forward or backward. It clicks into gear perfectly, but won't move when I throttle up. The problem is not the drive coupling. drive shaft coupling.jpg So I suspect the problem is further up the drive train towards the engine. Any suggestions on what to check? I have lubed and massaged the pedal linkage assembly and it looks like it moves freely and doesn't bind.

Thanks for any suggestions you have!

-Steve

/ MF 40 industrial won't move forward or backward #2  
i assume by now you got it moving again. Assuming the forward and reverse shift lever is correctly moving when you are stepping on the pedal, I would check the transmission fluid level possibly not enough to engage or fill the torque converter

/ MF 40 industrial won't move forward or backward #3  
Where is the torque converter located

/ MF 40 industrial won't move forward or backward #4  
Behind the engine attached to the flywheel.
The torque converter flex plate may have cracked and broken away from the flywheel. You can check by pulling the starter and look in the bell housing at both.
If your linkage outside the transmission is good, it could be detached inside the bell housing.
In any event, you will probably have to split the tractor between the engine and transmission