MF 165 knocking

/ MF 165 knocking
Worked on the injection pump leaks today. Typical of the CAV pump that the kill shaft, accelerator shaft and top cover were leaking. I won't go into detail about the procedure because that has been discussed many times on this forum and others. I will offer pics that other post are lacking in. Orings and gasket at the local dealer were less than $5.00

The nuts inside the black circle are the only thing that holds the top cover on and are somewhat fragile so don't over-torque on reassembly, also they have a sealing washer under them.
P4060178_zps694871f6.jpg

Remove the top cover gently
P4060180_zps949599ba.jpg

Pay attention to where the spring hooks in what someone else coined as the "tombstone". Mine was in the bottom slot, also on the other end of the spring there are three choices so check that location also
P4060181_zpsdcd36363.jpg

A view of the "tombstone" circled with green and the kill lever circled in red
P4060185_zps79405982.jpg

In red is the bottom of the kill shaft that fits into previously mentioned kill lever
P4060187_zps32d997ce.jpg

In green is the bottom of the accelerator shaft with a good view of the three spring choice holes, mine was in the center (look close and wear in that hole is obvious)
P4060191_zps782567a8.jpg

Both shafts shown, the orings were hard and brittle causing the leaks. I installed new orings with a generous amount of Vaseline in the center groove and a little on the orings.
P4060195_zps860af689.jpg

The gasket has a couple tabs, tab goes under the plate as shown in the last pic.
P4060197_zpsdd537c3d.jpg

P4060198_zpsb16dc371.jpg

Ran it for half an hour and no more leaks on the injection pump.

/ MF 165 knocking #82  
What kind of sealant was used. It looked like caramel chewing gum in picture two and three. :eek: -kid

/ MF 165 knocking
LOL, it looks bad but was just a red gasket that was diesel soaked

What kind of sealant was used. It looked like caramel chewing gum in picture two and three. :eek: -kid

/ MF 165 knocking
Put the old wires in the garbage where they belonged and made up my own harness.

After months of looking finally bought a 2005 6ft Bush Hog for half of new price. Still working on and getting to know this tractor so I shredded a couple hours with the tractor naked (naked tractor, not me :steeringwheel:). The tractor still needs some TLC on things like PTO seal, clutch adjustment (grinds when engaging PTO), going to put in better gauges for oil pressure and coolant temp. (don't like the Chinese made ones I got from the MF dealer)

/ MF 165 knocking #85  
Nice job on the wiring. It looks like you used the same type of ign/starter switch. More versatile. Looking great DaButcher. :thumbsup: -kid

/ MF 165 knocking #86  
Very nice photos. I need to get that done now on the old 265 I got from my late FIL.

You will like the 6' bushhog. Ours came with a very very heavy 7' bushhog and it makes the weighted front end still too light and will just cut out the tractor tires the way he had them set up. Since I have some 40 degree slopes I just left the wheels 7' wide.

/ MF 165 knocking
I could have bought a new Howse 7ft that weighed 1400lb for $1750 (Bush Hog weighs 700lb I think), but decided it was to heavy for a 40+ year old tractor with OEM tires. Sounds like I made a good decesion by your explanation Gale.

Very nice photos. I need to get that done now on the old 265 I got from my late FIL.

You will like the 6' bushhog. Ours came with a very very heavy 7' bushhog and it makes the weighted front end still too light and will just cut out the tractor tires the way he had them set up. Since I have some 40 degree slopes I just left the wheels 7' wide.

/ MF 165 knocking
Thanks Kid
Agree 100% on the switch being more versatile. Could even turn on the lights with the tractor not running if I had lights that work :eek:

Nice job on the wiring. It looks like you used the same type of ign/starter switch. More versatile. Looking great DaButcher. :thumbsup: -kid

/ MF 165 knocking
I guess "liquid overhaul" needs to be on my list, my granddaughter calls the 165 "grandpa's ugly old tractor"